• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore on boot up

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keny

I was running some tests earlier this morning and stumbled across something that nearly made me sh17 my pants! I made a vid to try and show what goes on during the boot up if you set a high vcore, all the settings were on full LLC and all the usual mumbo jumbo turned off, my vcore was set to 1.5 dead on, I expect a small fluctuation under load, I would even accept 0.03 increase to be acceptable under a high stress but this is just scary, the amount it puts into the CPU is at its highest when you can't read it with software, during the boot process, this is where I saw a huge increase of over 0.14v that was sending 1.64v into the CPU under boot which was a shock, but in windows it was showing 1.5 which is pretty much what I was reading with my multimeter (1.52 running cinebench), I am wondering if anyone else has a board with read points and could check this out.

link for crappy quality video

Last edited:
Geez that makes me think I have to stop booting at 1.7v. Thanks Keny

I know I crapped when I saw how high it goes, just when you can't read it, once its in the os it seems pretty fine but its definitely something I was unaware of until now.

It almost acts like an electric motor, needs a boost to get it going and then levels out. I'd never seen that before either.

this may be one of the reasons people benching LN2/dice don't boot on high volts.

I never knew it would be that high of a jump tho!

When benching cold I still boot in at pretty high vcore 1.75+, its a thing that's gunna be in the back of my mind when chucking chunks of vcore in the mix :eek:

do you know if the jump scales with different amounts of volts?

ie higher volts = higher jump etc

Last edited:
keny I use a fluke on my chv boards and yea they kick it in the pants before it reads the bios.

Back