• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI 660 or another card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FangzMatheson

Registered
Hey guys, I just had a quick question. I currently have a Nvidia Geforce EVGA GTX 660. I was wanting to upgrade to play BF4 No lag. That is the only Graphic Intense Game I have. My question is, Should I upgrade the single card? Or Get another 660 and SLI the two of them? I would like to stick with Nvidia and Im a big fan of the 660. My Rig: PSU: Evga NEX 750, GPU: Nvidia EVGA Geforce GTX 660, RAM: Kingston Hyperx Predator Series 2400 MHz, MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0, CPU: AMD FX 8350 Running at 4.2 GHz, WD Blue 500 GB HDD, CPU Cooler:Noctua Thermaltake Frio Ock. Case: AZZA Genesis 9000 (Non Modded).

Last edited:
Have you tried overclocking it? I think w/ power boost set to 110%, which I believe is max. for that card, you should be able to increase the base clock by approx 120Mhz and the memory clock by approx. 115MHz (460MHz effective).

I have not, I'm not a huge fan of overclocking. ( yes I'm aware of what forum I'm on) hahaha. I just feel that I don't know enough about it to attempt it.

I would absolutely love to learn. To be honest, I just don't know where to start and I don't want to risk blowing my system up in the process haha.

I have tried it once on an old system that was trashing anyway and I overclocked an old quad core at 2.8 ghz to 3.8 ghz or something like that and I had to jump my board to get my computer to boot so I had a bad experience.

Well for one you're not going to blow up your system by overclocking the card. Second is that the card has safeguards built-in, like thermal throttling and base / memory clock limits.

I currently have SLI MSI gtx 660's... Don't know if its just me or Nvidia cards but i get crashes every so often,. Usually 1/4-1/2 of the game. Driver crashes then recovers. But you should give it a go at it. :) My computer is currently having other issues too soo... that could be the case why its being how it is.

I think with cyber monday you could get a good deal on a 660 probably $130-150 range. it should be about 5-10% faster than a 680 so it would be on par with a 770.

You know, I was wondering the same thing too. I just upgraded my rig from a 660 to a MSI 770 TF 4GB and I have a 660 SC 2GB just layin around. Planning to upgrade my motherboard in the near future and might have to try SLI with em since 660s are so cheap now. Could be something to look into for a secondary build ^_^

Back