• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was trying to hold off, Wanted Vega or 1080ti. Bought 1080. Others in boat?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mas5acre

First off, I've always bought Radeon cards. Always. Its not brand loyalty. Performance was always great for the price. I don't upgrade every generation. Currently using a R9 290x. I've never had a Geforce card.

I wanted Vega or a GTX 1080ti, but I figured January at the earliest. Then another 2 months before aftermarket coolers. Then there's the shortages. I may not have that till June with my luck. Anyone else in the same boat?

I decided to get an Acer X34 predator monitor and a GTX 1080 HOF edition. If AMD had anything even close to powerful out right now for UltraWide 1440p res in a single card, I would have bought an LG panel with freesync, as its a lot cheaper. Crossfire can't seem to catch up (to nvidia single card performance) and can't be trusted. When a 1080ti does hit, maybe I'll just get a 2nd HOF 1080, as price should fall.

Ignore my specs below, I have a 6700k and another computer with a 4700k

I can't imagine needing a second 1080 for 1440p any time soon. My 1070 runs Ultra settings at 1440p, dual 1080's seems overkill at this resolution. By the time games will require dual 1080's at 1440p, I imagine there will be a whole new standard of resolution at which point a new gen card will probably be more enticing. The single 1080 should last a long time for 1440p.

I can't imagine needing a second 1080 for 1440p any time soon. My 1070 runs Ultra settings at 1440p, dual 1080's seems overkill at this resolution. By the time games will require dual 1080's at 1440p, I imagine there will be a whole new standard of resolution at which point a new gen card will probably be more enticing. The single 1080 should last a long time for 1440p.
I was watching gameplay on YouTube for the x34 which demands a little higher than 1440p since it's an ultrawide.

I was watching gameplay on YouTube for the x34 which demands a little higher than 1440p since it's an ultrawide.

I saw were you said 1440p up top, re-reading it now I see you're running the Acer X34 predator so 3440x1440 vs 2560x1440.
I'm not a fan of the Ultrawides, so I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I'd still bet the 1080 would handle it just fine. Worst case, you can always pick up a second when the ti launches and everyone is selling them cheap(er) to upgrade.

I'm holding on with a 980Ti in my main system, in that while the 1080 is faster, it isn't faster enough for the money. Titan XP, just nope. So I'm holding out for a 1080Ti in the hopes that'll hit the sweet spot, faster enough, without XP pricing. My monitor is old so no G-sync anyway, and I just aim to cap at 60fps which is doable at 3440x1440.

I saw were you said 1440p up top, re-reading it now I see you're running the Acer X34 predator so 3440x1440 vs 2560x1440.
I'm not a fan of the Ultrawides, so I don't have any first hand experience with them, but I'd still bet the 1080 would handle it just fine. Worst case, you can always pick up a second when the ti launches and everyone is selling them cheap(er) to upgrade.

I'm still glad you said what you did though. It makes me hopeful I won't have any issues running that resolution. I chose the HOF 1080 over the other 1080s for superficial reasons (it's white), but was happy to see its one of the better ones for speed and overclocking. I've been getting more into Youtube, so an ultrawide sounded nice for what I do.

I'm holding on with a 980Ti in my main system, in that while the 1080 is faster, it isn't faster enough for the money. Titan XP, just nope. So I'm holding out for a 1080Ti in the hopes that'll hit the sweet spot, faster enough, without XP pricing. My monitor is old so no G-sync anyway, and I just aim to cap at 60fps which is doable at 3440x1440.

What do you think of your ultrawide with the 980ti when gaming? Whats your in game settings?

It depends on the game and I don't spend a lot of time tinkering with the settings. If the game doesn't work it out itself I'd go to max then back off to get my target framerate. I have to add most of my gaming aren't leading edge titles so not as demanding.

Back