• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ssd gamers choice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

greyharte

hey guys been awhile so im a little behind on where things are right now ...

im in the market for a couple 500+gb ssd drives (1 for laptop, 1 for all-in-one) both my systems are only provisioned for 1 drive :(

im a gamer, I play EQ2

what is the best choice for a boot/gaming ssd drive these days?

It's hard to go wrong on SSDs these days, and there were a ton of awesome deals for SSDs on Newegg yesterday. Not sure if those are going on still. Samsung, Intel, OCZ, and Crucial are all good brands, just go with the best deal on $ per GB.

I have an OCZ Vertex 4, a Samsung 840 Pro, and a Crucial M4 (not in my sig, it's in a different machine) and there is not a noticable difference in performance between them. All of these are or were the best performing consumer drives from each company at the time I bought them.

Grab a Samsung 840 Evo in the 500Gb range or even their 1Tb model if that suits you, but, Samsung has a quality reputation with their drives. OCZ may have offered customer support to consumers, but their name is not one I would associate with a good and reliable SSD.

thanks for the replies guys

i'll take a look at the samsungs ... they seem to keep cropping up everywhere

I forgot to mention that Corsair also has some great offerings in the SSD market, although like Intel, their drives tend to be priced a bit higher for no particular reason. Also, don't count OCZ out if the price is right. Differences in reliability and speed are negligible at this point.

Back