• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

All files I believed copied, wrong "size"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

I am copying from one data drive to another. I each folder separately, so incase it lost power, etc.

Anyhow, I copied everything but the original drive says 368gb free of 2.72tb, and the "copy" drive says 524gb of 2.72tb.

So the copy drive has more free space, which means not everything copied - I think.

These drive do not have any OS files, etc. I already checked hidden files too. I also checked and it says 0% fragmented. Also checked it's recycle bin/ system files etc in trash.

The weirdest thing is inside the drive there are 7 major folders, each folder properties read the same amount of space taken as the counterparts folders in other drive, yet there is a 160gb gap "missing." :confused:

Any help where these hidden folders may lie, or a theory of why they do not show up would be helpful.

To clarify on cullam3n's response, if the second drive has a larger cluster size, small files will take up more space.

Thanks for advice. Ran "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo D:/J:"

Told me D: (new drive) is 4096 for sector, cluster, and filerocrd sizes.
Told me J: (old drive) was 512 sector, 4096 cluster, and 2014 for file record segment.

So I feel like this would cause a difference but would it make the difference that large of one? - Although it is only a 5% gap.

Aside from checking the folders manually with something like Treesize (which breaks down all the directories and files by size in a easy-to-read view), there are programs such as Beyond Compare that do this for you.

Big thanks for the Beyond Compare program. I have used others but this seems superior.
I used it and it found 3 files were "different" from source. But that is it, files took up same space just did not copy over correctly.

SO drives apparently have the same exact files but one is simply larger :shock:

I doubt it matters but the one drive is an external seagate drive (the new drive). Maybe it does an auto compress - but I am doubtful on that.

That's weird... 156GB is a big discrepancy. Disk Management (start > run > diskmgmt.msc) shows they are the same size too? Have you tried running disk cleanup on the old drive?

Could it be because the old drive was a 4k drive misaligned to 512k ?

(new drive) is 4096 for sector, cluster
(old drive) was 512 sector, 4096 cluster

Assuming they're the same model because of the capacities.

Could it be because the old drive was a 4k drive misaligned to 512k ?

Assuming they're the same model because of the capacities.

I assumed it had to do with the 4k/512k difference.

They were not the same model, the external (new drive) drive is just being used a temp for a few days. As I have to erase the old drives to add to a zfs pool, then I will copy it back over.

So I already formatted the drive, but when I copy it back over I will see what size it is, but may take a while to get to this.

That's weird... 156GB is a big discrepancy. Disk Management (start > run > diskmgmt.msc) shows they are the same size too? Have you tried running disk cleanup on the old drive?

I did run disk cleanup, although there was nothing to "clean" on either drive.

I have formatted the drive since. It was mostly media on the drive, as everything appeared there, but if not, I should not die over it :p

Back