• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5 4670k questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hazzyftw

Hey guys newb here, im currently using a i5 4430, but realized i cant get much headroom (3.2ghz max), so i wanted to get a processor that wouldnt break the bank and also have an unlocked multiplier. Attached below are the temperatures and voltages after running prime95 for 20 mins and a picture of the rig (any suggestions regarding water cooling or cable control are welcome; im running 8 fans). Can anyone w/ a similar rig give me an estimate of how far can i push the OCing on a 4670k? (4.0Ghz? 4.2 Ghz?)

Thank you :D

Edit: Prime95 Benchmark Score from Intel Extreme Tunning Utility is 686

Attachments

• pc setup.png
    pc setup.png
    450.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Prime95 20 min test.png
    Prime95 20 min test.png
    461.6 KB · Views: 87
I run my 4670k @ 4.2ghz for 24/7 use and with a H100 I never break 60c. The 4670k seems to hit the wall at 4.6ghz without using crazy voltages I would say that's the upper limit. You can see my rig if you click on my avatar.

I would clean up those cables to get better airflow in the case because you are limiting airflow with your current setup. Cable management is a total pain in the *** sometimes but the end result is well worth it. If you want to go with a simple water cooling kit with little maintenance I would get a H80 for your rig since space is limited as nd I'm not sure a dual 120 rad with fans will fit up top.

Other than cable management you have a pretty good rig.

Im thinking of getting a cooling loop from xspc per advice from the water cooling forums, i believe i have two potential sites for radiator placement, although i havent checked if its possible to branch multiple cooling plates from one radiator

I think that the cost of a custom loop is going to be greater than the gains in performance. You are looking at spending at more than $200 for a complete loop including a block for your gpu, cup and liquid. I just don't see the justification for going with that kind of cooling on a 4670k and 7870. In your case it would be more of a foot in the door or first time experience into water cooling than an actual need. I would advise you not to spend the kind of money needed to do a custom loop and use that for a better gpu or just save it. The 4670k will be fine with a 4.0ghz OC on your current cm 20142500k.

4.2-4.5Ghz is about the average there. I wouldn't bother cooling a GPU midway through its lifecycleunless you bought a generic GPU core only type block that can be used with another build.

Unless you just want to tinker, I do not see a point in this upgrade either.

Well its half to tinker, half aesthetics and the other half because i figure that the potential 500 Mhz in performance might come in handy. The air rig i have now isnt bad but wire management for this is almost impossible as it requires an endless amount of linking/extensions so thus why i decided to look water cooling. As per the gpu block i was thinking of getting a universal one, but is your consensus that i shouldnt just bother in general until im running one single powerful gpu (i.e GTX 780/HD 7990) or a SLI/Crossfire rig right?

Back