• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lenovo Y520 [I5 7300HQ/GTX 1050 2GB] Undervolting and Overclocking.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mantvydas

Hello! First of all, i want to wish you all happy new year. ^^

Laptop spec. : Lenovo Legion Y520 15IKBN - 80WK.
CPU - I5 7300HQ @ 2.5 GHz

iGPU - Intel HD 630
GPU - Nvidia GTX 1050 [2GB]

RAM - 16GB DDR4 2400MHz [2x8GB] Samsung + SK Hynix [Dual-channel]

HDD - Seagate 1TB

SSD - Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 256GB [OS]

Windows 10 Professional x64 [Fully updated]

So, i was working for around week, to find out how to undervolt laptop CPU and GPU, also had read almost like whole book about Overclocking. And this is what i want to share with you, what ive had reached with mine laptop. Let's begin with CPU first.

Ik7WbHP.png

As you see, this is what iv'e got using ThrottleStop. CPU and Cache -128mV, iGPU -103mV.

rvHw0df.png

TqFmWdV.png

fbv1tqd.png

FLU0qWx.png

Those settings are for GPU. While benchmarking with 3D Mark software [Fire Strike, default settings] Highest temp i faced was 77 degrees. In a couple of days, i will change stock thermal paste with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut for both CPU and GPU, regarding to reviewers, it should drop my temps for around ~10 degrees.

GtxVGRd.png

Q7GiorF.png

i6V4C7l.png

As you see here, this is my score in 3D Mark. I would love to compare the score with someone using the same laptop, or the same spec. computer. By the way, i was using some benchmark softwares like Furmark, Heaven by Unigine. I didin't liked it becouse the clock's those softwares was showing to me was incorrect.
P.S Sorry that i didint saved pictures of my stock system benchmark, the score within undervolting and overclocking GPU was 5317.

System is stable, benchmarks didin't showed any artifacts. I ran Prime95 for almost 4 hours, to check stability of the cpu when i undervoled it, and it ended without a crash. But im still wondering about few things, i believe i will find those here. ^^

1. Will this, all i had done, harm my computer in some way? [CPU, GPU, Other hardware Degradations and etc.]
2. Is the graph's showing corret info? Everything here is allright?

3. Why after GPU Undervolting and Overclocking my cpu run hotter [ around 43-45 idle ], without it temperatures i was facing was around 35-40.

4. I watched a movie yesterday, and my laptop battery went down from 100 to 0 in a 2 hours. [ It never did that before ] is this is trying to say me something? i had read that undervolting increases battery life, but it seems like it's not. Smiley Surprised

5. Is my Undervolting and Overclocking is nice? should i go higher, or lover? Or i should reset everything to default settings, and forget about it?

Waiting for responses, opinions. P.S - Excuse me for my bad English grammar. :/

System is stable, benchmarks didin't showed any artifacts. I ran Prime95 for almost 4 hours, to check stability of the cpu when i undervoled it, and it ended without a crash. But im still wondering about few things, i believe i will find those here. ^^

1. Will this, all i had done, harm my computer in some way? [CPU, GPU, Other hardware Degradations and etc.]
2. Is the graph's showing corret info? Everything here is allright?

3. Why after GPU Undervolting and Overclocking my cpu run hotter [ around 43-45 idle ], without it temperatures i was facing was around 35-40.

4. I watched a movie yesterday, and my laptop battery went down from 100 to 0 in a 2 hours. [ It never did that before ] is this is trying to say me something? i had read that undervolting increases battery life, but it seems like it's not. Smiley Surprised

5. Is my Undervolting and Overclocking is nice? should i go higher, or lover? Or i should reset everything to default settings, and forget about it?

Waiting for responses, opinions. P.S - Excuse me for my bad English grammar. :/

1. Undervolting will not harm your computer. If you're stable then you're good to go.
2. Everything looks fine to me, that's how I undervolt my 1050ti.
3. If you're running hotter at idle then either it's not really at idle or you just are misremembering what you ran at before.
4. MSI after burner has a bug where it keeps your dGPU enabled. I believe it has to deal with the on screen display, but I just exit it after applying my overclock and then it is fine. That may have been the thing to cause your battery drain. Undervolting does help with battery drain, but you're not going to get hours of extra time or anything.
5. It looks like a decent undervolt to me. You may be able to go higher on the cpu/cache, but every cpu is different. I would keep the undervolt for sure though.

Let me know if you have any more questions. I still have some benchmarks from my XPS 9560 with the 1050 and 7700HQ so let me know if you want any others besides firestrike:
Firestrike - 6139

Back