• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New... can I overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midrange

Hey guys. Stumbled upon this site and figured I could hope for some help. I've never overclocked a cpu before. I have built a few, so I'm not a complete noob. The computer in question is my work computer. Its an HP elite 8100 series running an i7 870, 8Gb RAM, Windows 7 x64, Radeon HD5450 1Gb GPU.

Not sure how to attach, but I can supply DXDiag for more info if needed. I'm not looking to OC much. I'm running into major issues running PowerDirector 12 which 'states' it requires 3Ghz processing. I'm wondering if I can bump it up a bit within safe levels I'll have more success running this program.

Hey guys. Stumbled upon this site and figured I could hope for some help. I've never overclocked a cpu before. I have built a few, so I'm not a complete noob. The computer in question is my work computer. Its an HP elite 8100 series running an i7 870, 8Gb RAM, Windows 7 x64, Radeon HD5450 1Gb GPU.

Not sure how to attach, but I can supply DXDiag for more info if needed. I'm not looking to OC much. I'm running into major issues running PowerDirector 12 which 'states' it requires 3Ghz processing. I'm wondering if I can bump it up a bit within safe levels I'll have more success running this program.

Moar specs plz.

Like motherboard model if possible..

Check your BIOS of overclocking options, that's the best route.
But you are likely stuck like me, because we both bought pre-built PC's :( (I bought a Gateway DX-4850)

Its a canned (store bought) PC. I doubt the HP will have any bios options to overclock. but check for things like core voltage and bclk. If those options are not in there, you are SOL really.

Its a canned (store bought) PC. I doubt the HP will have any bios options to overclock. but check for things like core voltage and bclk. If those options are not in there, you are SOL really.

Maybe, (but highly unlikely) a BIOS mod/unlock can help....
I've done it on my sig rig, pre-built but I was able to unlock the multiplier control.

But of course, I have a non "K" cpu :bang head

Wow.. thanks for the quick responses. As far as I can tell, there are no options in the BIOS to do anything. Can't I still get limited OC options with software?

Wow.. thanks for the quick responses. As far as I can tell, there are no options in the BIOS to do anything. Can't I still get limited OC options with software?

Not likely. Old boards (2000 era) had a PLL for the Northbridge and CPU/Memory FSB. Nowadays, most boards* (like yours and mine) have the PLL tied with everything. So if you mess with that, your hardware can die fast.

*= Boards that have the "H" based chipset.

Doubtful...you need to find the PLL # for your board and use ClockGen or Set FSB. Even then, you have no voltage control so you won't get too far (200Mhz or so?).

I guess I'll take a look to find the PLL. Anything else I can possibly do..? Without buying a new mobo of course

I guess I'll take a look to find the PLL. Anything else I can possibly do..? Without buying a new mobo of course

Using software to overclock is pretty much it bud...

Sorry, I wish I had some magic program that would overclock any board, but I don't :p

I would not even try to push it with a 240 watt PFC power supply, even if its fitted with the 320 watt PFC???!!! COULD go belly up if you could find a way to OC the PC in the first place, sorry OP!!

AJ.

I would not even try to push it with a 240 watt PFC power supply, even if its fitted with the 320 watt PFC???!!! COULD go belly up if you could find a way to OC the PC in the first place, sorry OP!!

AJ.

This true?? Was about to shut down and pull the case off but if the PS can't even handle it then I guess I am SOL.

Yes and no... its solid GENERIC advice, but not for this situation.

Here is the thing. IF you can overclock, you can't touch the voltage. So when you raise the clock speed, power use does increase, but not by much at all. For example, I can overclock my 4770K to 4.2Ghz on stock voltage, and my power use went up by around 10W.

So, yes, its true, but in your case, I wouldn't worry too much about it since you cannot raise the voltage.

The short of it is though bub, if you want to overclock, you will want a more robust system to handle it, period. But if you find the PLL and can, its worth a try so long as you are not adding voltage.

Last edited:
Well, my PLL looked a good bit different than the pics. It was super small, I could hardly read it. But it was right next to the 14.3 crystal and had a realtek logo. From what I could read:

875N-632 B2E62P2 GB082

Well, my PLL looked a good bit different than the pics. It was super small, I could hardly read it. But it was right next to the 14.3 crystal and had a realtek logo. From what I could read:

875N-632 B2E62P2 GB082

Maybe look again?

Here is what my PLL looks like, yours should look similar (since we both have Intel chipsets)

IMG099.jpg

Hmm... Don't really know what I'm looking for if that's not it. It was a very small square chip like the one posted above. Had the realtek (deer anter looking) logo, and then those sets of digits that I posted.

The chip I thought it was is the one towards the right center of the shot. Directly above of the lower of the two crystal.
5gy3.jpg

Last edited:
Back