• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrading from 8800 GTS (640MB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Revtek

Registered
Hi all,

I recently built a rig with the FX-8320 and ASUS M5A97 R2.0 board.

I tried using my GTX 460 but kept getting random crashes where the display driver would stop working or my system would lock up.

Since then, I put in an old 8800 GTS which runs perfectly fine.

This rig is mainly to host my Plex server with video rendering in Handbrake and to play World of Tanks...

Can you recommend a sub $100 card that would be a better upgrade than the 8800 GTS?

I'm finding the price difference between the 750 and 650 to be around $20... And the 750 looks like the passmark scores are worth the extra $20.

Any other opinions before I buy the 750?

I'm finding the price difference between the 750 and 650 to be around $20... And the 750 looks like the passmark scores are worth the extra $20.

Any other opinions before I buy the 750?

Honestly, no.
The AMD's with equivalent performance pull way more power than the 750.

That 750 doesn't even take a PCIe power connection... It has a 55W TDP :shock:

Impressive. Thanks for the help - now to find the cheapest 750 I can find... I don't care if it's used :)

Impressive. Thanks for the help - now to find the cheapest 750 I can find... I don't care if it's used :)

I believe that EVGA I linked is the cheapest new.

Might find something on eBay, but I haven't seen many popping up used.
(They released pretty recently)

Thanks ATMINSIDE. I installed it and it runs World of Tanks on highest settings... I'm very happy with this GPU.

Back