• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Devil's Canyon or Haswell-DT?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow. People weren't joking when they said Haswell HATES Prime95. In OCCT, I am stable. Does this mean that I should use OCCT instead of Prime95 for stability tests and that I am okay to continue with my overclocking? Any other applications you would recommend for stress testing?

ed,
love the edit post with a pic of how to post pics. :p

ab98,
try intel burntest, since i havent been around when haswell took off. i dunno about prime95 not working with haswell, doesnt make sense to me. other then that orthos(multi core version) there is another but the name escapes me atm.

Ha! I couldnt see the pics from the office as 3rd party host sites are blocked...that was a double wammo there. :p

Anyway, That voltage is too high for stock. It should be around 1.0-1.1v. Not sure why its doing that... but set it manually to 1.1v and watch those temps drop. ;)

Intel Burn Test/Linpack is the bomb for testing core temps.

It looks like your heatsink may have a push pin coming out.

Wow. People weren't joking when they said Haswell HATES Prime95. In OCCT, I am stable. Does this mean that I should use OCCT instead of Prime95 for stability tests and that I am okay to continue with my overclocking? Any other applications you would recommend for stress testing?
Prime95 should work fine for that clock speed and cooler you have, I would check your cooler mount and see if it's loose.

What temps are you seeing?

My Push-pins are fine, just checked them. In IBT, my temps go up to around 75 C, but it did freeze the time I tried it, which is odd, because I was at 4.2 GHz and 1.25 V. I can't exceed 4.3 GHz or else I get MHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR. Any ideas on fixing this? Wiping the hard drive didn't help. My voltages are: VCORE: 1.225 V RING VOLTAGE: 1.08 V and that is all I changed. At 4.3 GHz atm.

My Push-pins are fine, just checked them. In IBT, my temps go up to around 75 C, but it did freeze the time I tried it, which is odd, because I was at 4.2 GHz and 1.25 V. I can't exceed 4.3 GHz or else I get MHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR. Any ideas on fixing this? Wiping the hard drive didn't help. My voltages are: VCORE: 1.225 V RING VOLTAGE: 1.08 V and that is all I changed. At 4.3 GHz atm.

4.2Ghz is a great overclock with that CPU, I would just stay there.:cool::popcorn:

4.2Ghz is a great overclock with that CPU, I would just stay there.:cool::popcorn:

Yes, but I specifically bought a cooler for overclocking higher. Also, while playing Battlfield 3 and 4, I keep freezing completely. Teamspeak goes blank, and the game freezes. I am at 1.25 V now.

Did you try 4.2 GHz at 1.3 V?
I read somewhere that having VCCIN >0.4 of Vcore will stabilize the chip's overclock.

Temps still seem high to me for that cooler and CPU (although I the last time I used an H100 series cooler was on the 980x @ 4.2GHz and under load with LinX it hit 65c). I would check the lines between the rad and the pump to make sure nothing is kinked to inhibit flow. I would also make sure sure it is seated flat. Perhaps thats the temps for those CPUs though?

EDIT: I have found a review of that cooler. It was tested with a 4770k @ 4.2GHz and temps topped out at 80c with the AIDA64 FPU test. Given that the 4770k runs hotter than yours, I would definitely say there could be a performance or installation problem.

2nd EDIT: Going back to your screenshot of prime95 with coretemp, you can see a 10c difference in temps between the cores. Again, not having any XP with these CPUs I am only guessing, but that looks like something with the installation is amiss. Anyone with 4770k XP want to weigh in on that?

Last edited:
My Push-pins are fine, just checked them. In IBT, my temps go up to around 75 C, but it did freeze the time I tried it, which is odd, because I was at 4.2 GHz and 1.25 V. I can't exceed 4.3 GHz or else I get WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR. Any ideas on fixing this? Wiping the hard drive didn't help. My voltages are: VCORE: 1.225 V RING VOLTAGE: 1.08 V and that is all I changed. At 4.3 GHz atm.

You shouldn't be unstable with only a +400 Mhz OC!

Sounds like another FX 60!

(And I corrected your typo in the quote.)

Temps still seem high to me for that cooler and CPU (although I the last time I used an H100 series cooler was on the 980x @ 4.2GHz and under load with LinX it hit 65c). I would check the lines between the rad and the pump to make sure nothing is kinked to inhibit flow. I would also make sure sure it is seated flat. Perhaps thats the temps for those CPUs though?

EDIT: I have found a review of that cooler. It was tested with a 4770k @ 4.2GHz and temps topped out at 80c with the AIDA64 FPU test. Given that the 4770k runs hotter than yours, I would definitely say there could be a performance or installation problem.

2nd EDIT: Going back to your screenshot of prime95 with coretemp, you can see a 10c difference in temps between the cores. Again, not having any XP with these CPUs I am only guessing, but that looks like something with the installation is amiss. Anyone with 4770k XP want to weigh in on that?

The difference in temps is because of the terrible thermal interface that Intel used in their Haswell CPUs. I really need help with this, because again, past 4.3 GHz gives me WHEA_UNRECOVERABLE_ERROR no matter what voltages I use. Just BSODs. I have seen some people in the same situation, not sure if or how they solved it. Just need help removing this BSOD.

Edit: Also found something odd - with FPU stressing, my CPU temp goes the highest, but with CPU and FPU, it is lower. Why? False readings? Another thing I noticed is that the temperatures IMMEDIATELY go up when I start the test and IMMEDIATELY go down afterwards. Are they based off of equations? When cache and memory are also stressed, temps go even LOWER. WHAT? With this, temps don't even touch 70 C.

Last edited:
When testing FPU only in AIDA it does get hotter. That is not a problem.

As far as the BSODs... Id your bios updated to the latest version?

When testing FPU only in AIDA it does get hotter. That is not a problem.

As far as the BSODs... Id your bios updated to the latest version?

It is updated to F5. I updated it yesterday. All F6 does is adds the Pentium's overclock ability and improves SSD performance. I pressed update from server and it updated me to F5, not F6. Should I upgrade to F6? Just in case, I am updating my GPUs right now.

Last edited:
Back