• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thunderbird fsb oc = bad??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elysium

I heard from a friend that the thunderbird was no good at fsb overclocking. As I thought this fact was usually limited by the ram, hdd+++, I was a bit surpised. Doesn't the tbird enjoy fsb clocking at all??

Ely

elysium said:
I heard from a friend that the thunderbird was no good at fsb overclocking. As I thought this fact was usually limited by the ram, hdd+++, I was a bit surpised. Doesn't the tbird enjoy fsb clocking at all??

Ely

I had a few that could run over 150mhz FSB. Some will, some won't. But I'd say your friend is poorly informed.....you've come to the right place!

The FSB problems are mainly with older KT133 based motherboards. Mine does a 106MHz FSB OK, but isn't too stable much past that. 112MHz is the highest option that it offers.

i would say, from my experience only - not from what I have digested on the net, that my Duron's were able to handle higher FSB speeds than my T-birds.

But I would think that is to be expected because of the differences in CPUS.

I, currently only can OC my Athlon 1.33 with 11x136 without stability issues and my modo uses the KT133a chipset. I imagine I could lower the multiplier to 9 and get a FSB around 150, however when I was pushing my Duron that far - I started loosing my NIC card (pci).

So I would tell your friend that it is not 100% a T-bird issue, but the chipset the motherboard is using. Or, simply just a matter of preference - higher multiplier or higher FSB.

ma2snc: Unlock that SOB T-bird and prove him wrong!!

brodo

Well, I'm running the 1200 tbird 260mhz bus. Runnig the rest you can see in my sig. Anyway, my pc wont oc at all actually. My temps in vcooler are CPU: 29 (36load) and system 38 (45load) (are these correct, that my cpu are cooler than my mobo. Both mbm and vcooler says it is?)

Billion Isdn card
Planet ethernet 10/100mb
aopen midi tower

Currently running 9*133
At 10*133 it finishes the burn in tests in sandra, but quits my games. It jumpes straight out to windows.
At 9*140 it won't even boot. Says that it is a foul in memory modul. But I am supposed to have good apacer ram pc 133, and from what I have read, it should at least be able to hit 140mhz. Why won't it?

Thanks

Ely

:mad: :mad:

I'm getting pretty mad about this. I read and read and read and read, but does it help me? NO!!!!!!

:mad: :mad:

So I can take this for what it is:

The Tbird has no problems with fsb overclocking!

Ely

But do anyone have an idea why my cpu won't oc, and also at the same time tell me if the numbers in vcooler can be real?

Ely

I am not sure about those temp readings. with MBM you have to configure it to tell you which sensors you want it to display - are they setup properly? think maybe your PSU is the higher temp and you do not have your mobo sensor setup?

does your BIOS have a 'pc health' or otherwise temp. reading?

I do not have any models or hard data but I have read, here and various places, about certain mobos miss-reading temps as well as softeware readouts with certain OS's.

I am running 36º cpu : 24º board : 24º psu. during idle (idle is with 3 proggies open and about 4 IE browser windows, ICQ, MSN messenger) - it isn't load, but I like it for an 'idle'!

anywaz, I see my mobo's 'board' sensor is at the bottom right - far FAR away from Northbridge and about 1 inch (sorry dunno the centimeters) from southbridge. So I suspect that my 'board' or 'system' temp is actually much higher (since my northbridge is near my cpu). Meaning that I put it upon myself to assum another 10-15ºC for my northbridge and/or 'system' temps.

perhaps your temps are reading correctly and that your sensor is close to your chipset that tells you "hey! I need better chipset cooling" :-} And your CPU is getting what it needs at 29º

my theory for you, anyway...

keep us posted when you get it figured out!

brodo

elysium said:
Well, I'm running the 1200 tbird 260mhz bus. Running the rest you can see in my sig.
If your running at 260FSB/130MHz then it looks like you need to check your SOFT MENU III settings. The KT7A has the KT133A chipset that will allow you to run higher than 133MHz/266FSB. Start a thread at ABIT Motherboards & list down exactly what you see in SOFT MENU III & lets see if we can get that bird to fly. My TB is a 1.1GHz 200FSB chip that's running well over it's default FSB on a similar MoBo.
elysium said:
My temps in vcooler are CPU: 29 (36load) and system 38 (45load) (are these correct, that my cpu are cooler than my mobo. Both mbm and vcooler says it is?)
Your System temps & CPU temps are interchanged. Running at 36°C on the Northbridge will cause you to have FSB problems on some of the KT133A chipsets. That needs your attention ASAP. If your running that CPU at stock speed, 9 X133, at 45°C then I would think that is another heat problem. You want headroom & not just acceptable temps when O/C.

I also have crappy APACER ram:beer:

The reason oc any cpu by FSB is bad is that you'll also oc your PCI cards. This will shorten the life of all your PCI cards, and that's not good. I think burned my modem out that way. If you oc with FSB go by 33s. So my Tbird is at 133/33, you don't want that /33 to change much. Don't go up by more than 10%. But going to 166/33 is okay since you won't be ocing your PCI cards.

WeaponX:

did you burn up your modem card immediately? I usually run at 35mhz pci. On occasion I push up to 36/37. I have read something similar to your recommendation '10%' which would equal about 36.3. I also read that a voltage of 3.6 or higher was required to get the chipset moving that quickly.

Anyway wrong section for this thread probably - just was curious about the speed at which your modem left this world.

brodo

Sonny:

I'm going to do post a thread in the amd mobo: abit section as soon as I get borrowed a digital camera. I haven't got any myself, but a lot of my friends have. I might get it this afternoon (norway time now: 17.40) and then I will post pictures of my mobo there.

Okay, this one should be in the software section, but ill ask here anyway: How do I take photo of my "skrivebord" (the picture on my monitor, don't remember the english word for it) in paint shop pro 7?

Thanks people

Ely

elysium said:
I'm going to do post a thread in the amd mobo: abit section as soon as I get borrowed a digital camera. I haven't got any myself, but a lot of my friends have. I might get it this afternoon (norway time now: 17.40) and then I will post pictures of my mobo there.
You can just copy it on a piece of paper & type it out. Well that's what I do anyways.
elysium said:
How do I take photo of my "skrivebord" (the picture on my monitor, don't remember the english word for it) in paint shop pro 7?
Do you mean your "Desktop" in Windows? Hit the Print Screen button then paiste it into PSP7, you can also press Alt+Print Screen to take a screen cap of the top most window.

sonny said:
You can just copy it on a piece of paper & type it out. Well that's what I do anyways.

Didn't get that one, explain it a bit better please^

Ely

Oh, sonny;

Thanks a lot for the desktop picture taiking "giude", finally I figured this out! (or you told me what to do...)

Thanks

Ely

Back