• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ethernet Port Power Consumption Spike

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

90Ninety

Registered
After Mum moaning about the electricity bill , a power monitor has been used for my gaming rig

I had noticed something strange , when downloading or streaming the Power consumption rises around 200-300%. It is crazy

When I am gaming offline on a game such as Wolfenstein ( Very Hardware intensive) I am using around 230-300 Watts . However when just downloading a torrent for example this raises up to a fluctuating range of around 350-650 Watt :shock:

I would have never thought the Ethernet adapter and HDD would take ,pre than half of the Load Power

Things to bear in mind - I am using power-lines ( Ethernet over power )
Wifi Adapter has shown to decrease Consumption at a steady 250-300 W
Your Thoughts ??!!?!

Are there any errors in dmesg? Also try using a tool like powertop (no idea if it works on AMD) to see if the CPU is in fact being held in a high power state.

Also, some fancy downloaders with fancy graphs will load down the GPU.

Your power monitor is being confused by the Ethernet over Power thing. It puts high frequency noise on the power lines, which is bleeding out into the power meter and causing out to lunch readings.
If any single part of your computer was eating >300w without a very impressive heatsink it would be on fire within seconds.

Back