• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Duron vs. Athlon

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minoukat

just wondering 1 thing : how come the Duron (morgan) tops out at about 1.4GHz while the AthlonXP (Palomino) tops out at 1.8 ? Aren't both built on .18 micron ? then could someone explain why there's such a difference ? I mean, aren't they both built on the same core just with different names and cache ? Why would one clock lower than the other ?

minoukat said:
just wondering 1 thing : how come the Duron (morgan) tops out at about 1.4GHz while the AthlonXP (Palomino) tops out at 1.8 ? Aren't both built on .18 micron ? then could someone explain why there's such a difference ? I mean, aren't they both built on the same core just with different names and cache ? Why would one clock lower than the other ?

If you were AMD, would you want both at the same speed? XP sales would drop dramatically.....sure, you'd sell a lot more Durons....but XP sales are #1 I'm sure. See what I'm sayin?

I understand your point, but I'm not talking about the marketing. I heard the Duron tops out (in speed it CAN reach) at about 1.4GHz. How come the XP tops out at 1.73 ? Cuz both use the same .18 micron. And I think the Duron should be able to go higher than the XP cuz it has less cache to heat it up, but how come it tops out so soon ?

well, for 1 thing the .18 micron Duron will top out at 1.5 Ghz ..............also the Durons are still using a ceramic package..............so that might be a limiting factor............ But I think the main reason that the Duron (morgan) will only max out at 1.5 Ghz is : ...........it is the " Value" CPU

Back