• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

chipped

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

so many choices

Hey guys while trying to take off my ax 7 I chipped the corner of my cpu.

Would a corner chip not harm your processor at all, or would it.

I got my system to boot up, but what would be a good indication that I damaged my cpu. Is there a way you could test to see if there would be any performance loses because of this.

Should I only worry about my athlon if the middle of the core is crushed and not think too much about the corner of the core?

Many ppl who chip there CPU's have no trouble with them afterwards. The only thing I can think of to really test you're CPU is to run alot of stress tests on it. But since you could boot and everything seems allright I think you are in the clear. :)
(Some chipped CPU's don't live as long as none chipped ones)

Had a 1.4 thunderbird that was chipped orginally in shipping to me, but I didnt notice it even thru heatsink changes and so forth until almost 6 months later.
Didn't realize those black specs were chips at the time:)
The temps were high but it ran fine, now use a xp1800.
I did research on it back last month when I figured it out and the vast majority said heat/ shortened life span was the only concern if it worked.
Having a Ax-7 and knowing the tension it makes, you make me nervous now to remove the heatsink for anything:)

well in my experience after chipping a chip it runs hotter because their is less area for heat to be transfered to the heatsink... other than that if its still working consider yourself lucky. some chips work with a bunch of chips others die from little chips...

??

Demon - how did you get your chip to hit 160 FSB? I can hit 137 max with mine, anything higher kills my USB. What mobo do you use? And is it because of the added /5 PCI divisor?
Lucifer

Lucifer- I use a Iwill KK266 mobo with SDRAM and well i had to get a new video card to take my fsb up that high, their is no 1/5 divider on my board... i never use usb so im not sure if it dies that high up or not...

I don't loose my USB at 160 bus either, I got this to 160 bus (see sig) but the AGP card gives up, I am using cheapo RAM and even that is good for 160+

Back