• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

k7S5A and hard drive need help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

idgamerd

Well i just hooked/build my new computer like 5min. ago. However it wont start. I moved my old HDD from my old computer (40gig) but it wont start. It says some stuff like "Windows has stopped to prewent a crash of your computer" and then like "if you installed a new hdd check some stuff or something" how i dunno what to do. Help me out guys! thanks

Are you trying to move your drive from one 'puter to another without doing a fresh install? It can be done, (usuall) but it is a lot of trouble, and an invitation to problems later on. What OS are you using? If Win98, try booting into safe mode, and deleting as much hardware as you can. Be ready for driver installations. The best thing would be to do a format and reinstall. But you probably knew that.

no, i didnt know that. im running xp, and i cant get anywhere not command promt not even save mode. has can i reformat? I got windows xp cdrom and boot 6 floopies. what do i do? please help!

I'd love to help, but I have 0 experience with XP. If you go to Operating Systems, Shadow has a sticky that has lots of tips. If you can't find what you need there, post in operating systems that you need help to do a format and reinstall of XP. I'll have some experince with 2000 and XP in a couple of weeks, but I'm sure you'll get your answer before then! Good luck, and don't panic, someone here has the info you need.

:( well i dont really care about saving my stuff.. how do i get to dos? anyway u know of? cuz i cant get into xp at all and i want to reformat

Wel, see that's where it gets a little tricky. You can run XP with FAT 32 or NTFS, and XP doesn't use DOS at all. So I think you need an XP boot floppy, and at some point you'll be prompted to choose your File Allocation Table format. This is where you really need to get advice from someone who has installed XP.

Welcome to the NT Kernel. There is no DOS in XP. It has a command prompt, but it isn't DOS.

You should be able to boot off the XP CD. When you get into the setup and have the ability to choose your install partition, delete all partitions, create new partition, select the new partition as the install location, and format the newly created partition (your choice of FAT32 or NTFS file systems). The partition should format, setup files copy from CD to new partition, and the setup will continue.

Now I got another problem, well i dunno if its really a problem yet. When i finshed installing my windows xp my desctop is EMPTY. Like nothing on it all. Only recycle bin, NO my computer, networking, nothing? Is that normal?

Thats normal, XP starts off without any clutter on the desktop. All the links are thrown into the start menu area, I personally like it better that way.

Back