• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What am I doing wrong?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wedo

Senior Kitty Power!
I'm building a new system with an 8k3a+

Here's the pieces to the puzzle:

W2K
XP 2100+
512MB Corsair PC 2700
Two WD 100GB limited ed. HD's on RAID 0
Lite-On CD-RW

This system will not take an OS. What I mean is that when the blue DOS window comes up after hitting F6 and installing the RAID drivers, I shortly there after get a BSOD.

I have Flashed with the latest BIOS (2328), have the newest RAID drivers, tried installing XP pro, checked the HD's on another machine, used a different CD-ROM, reseated the memory, then began moving the memory into different combonations (one stick on DIMM one, one on DIMM two/three, two on 1 and 2, two on 2 and 3) and it STILL will not stop hanging up.

I'm thinking that it is either the memory or the mobo, either way I just need help.

Again, I have updated everything, tested everything outside of the system individually except for the memory as I have no other system that will take PC 2700.

Thank you in advance.
Wedo

Last edited:
Have you tried reseating the ram? There is a ram test I believe it is called memtest 86. Do a search for it and run it. It will tell you if there are problems with the ram. I would try reseating it first. I would also double check the jumpers on the board and the raid bios, to make sure it is all set right. I am sorry I can't be of more help but if I think of anything else to try I will post. Good luck and I hope I don't have the same problem with my 8K3A+.

What OS is it that you are trying to install ?
Is it Windows XP, as I have had similar experiences to yourself with certain mobo's when trying to install using a DVD Drive, the problem does not seem to appear when using a CD-Rom Drive for some reason.

Thanks guys. I'm using the CD-RW to install the W2K. I'm try to reseat the memory.

I'm considering taking one of the HD's out, slaving it onto another machine, using partition magic, then throwing the OS on it that way.

Just not sure what will happen when I plug the drive back into the RAID.

/back to fixin'

Wedo

To create raid 0 it will wipe out the hardrives. One solution is to have a small hardrive that holds the operating system then throw the programs and data on the raid array. Aother would be to Ghost the OS over to the raid 0. This is really weird and it would definitely be a good idea to find the source of the problem. Good luck.

BTW: I'm using a Lite-On CD-RW, think that could be it? I have regular CD-Rom's around, if this wave of "try this" doesn't work, I'll put trying a new drive at the top of the next round's list.

Thanks again,
Wedo

I had similar problems when installing XP on my 8KHA+. I used a lite-on cd-rw, but the problem was the slave/master setting on my cd-rw and my dvd drives. On other systems I had been able to use the CSL (cable select line) and let it go at that (both of my drives came with that option selected). After nothing but bright blue screens I finally thought to check that out, just to be safe. I set to master one and slave the other, and the install when smoothly.

I'm starting to think it's bad memory DIMM's on my mobo. That was a great idea tlemaste, so good in fact, that I had already done it :D.

I took off the DVD drive, used one cable (it's a rounded cable with only one drive attachment) and connected it to the CD-RW with the jumper on Master, Slave, and CS. Tried all three..... nothing.

Thanks for the idea, any others????

Wedo

I can only think of one other thing to try if you haven't already. If in the BIOS you have ACPI disabled you might try this: (I got it off TweakersXP.com but it may hold true for win2k also)

Doing a Fresh Install with no ACPI. When setup is loading, the blue screen will ask if you have any raid devices, and to press F6. When it does that, press and hold F7, & Congratulations! No ACPI will be installed.

I'm running XP Pro, and for some reason when I disable ACPI in the BIOS the system justs hangs while booting. I'm thinking about reformatting and trying this to see if ACPI disabled will help me overclock this board.

Well..... it's bad memory. I just ran the Mem86 test and each stick of Corsair came up with bad writes. Seems the PC2700 Cas 2 is getting bad reviews. Oh well. RMA time, and I'll hope that the memory is the only problem.

Thanks for the input,
Wedo

Back