• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It has begun

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walaka7

My wife is now convinced that i have lost my mind.
I went to the shop this morning with a small fridge and came back with the "guts". For testing purposes i have it sitting on top of an ice chest filled with water and i have a fountain pump (210 gph) feeding my waterblock.. The temps haven't even begun to stabilize yet as i am chilling water in the freezer to replace the 80*F water currently in the ice chest ( i was running tests on the pump while i was at the shop carving the fridge up ).. i will edit this post with a link to my home page as soon as i get pics up..

EDIT: http://home.earthlink.net/~walaka7

Last edited:
Dont forget to prepare for condensation once you get below ambient water temps ;)

You tell the wife you ruined your mobo or whatnot due to a few drops of water, then the wife WILL kill you when you tell her you need a new Mobo etc etc :D

Im not going that cold yet.. Only dropping 10- 15* below ambient.. i need to see if i need to make adjustments to condensor size evaporator depth, or make adjustments to reservoir size.. Then, when i have an idea as to where the give and take is going to be, i will make preparations to Mobo (GE clear silicone, motorcraft dielectric grease and poly foam).. I appreciate the heads up though ;)

I too wanna mod my mini pop fridge to house my resivior and pump. I'm just still trying to figure out the condensation factor before I begin. I plan on using silicon spray and I have been thinking of maybe foam insulating my hoses. Is their a need for a radiator? I was thinking that might be wet mess from condensation.

Big Nuttz said:
I too wanna mod my mini pop fridge to house my resivior and pump. I'm just still trying to figure out the condensation factor before I begin. I plan on using silicon spray and I have been thinking of maybe foam insulating my hoses. Is their a need for a radiator? I was thinking that might be wet mess from condensation.

You could put a radiator (with fans blowing case air onto it) in the case to use as a dehumidifyer (sp). that way all of the water in the air will collect at the base of the radiator, rather than on the components in your case. But you would have to remember to empty out the collection tray so your case doesnt fill up with water. you could hook up a cheap low gph pump to the collection tray to pump the water into the resavoir when ever the tray starts to get full. This may be a good idea for bong users, to prevent them from having to fill their res. up as often.

A radiator can be helpful in that manner :), but would serve no purpose for actual cooling.. bear in mind, if you use it as a dehumidifier, you will be diminishing the amount of heat it is capable of removing from the proc.

If you're looking for max benifit, you simply need to make cold components airtight to outside air. (IE, metal lines if used, reservoir, and most importantly, the proc and socket)..

The necessary components for this would be:

Chiller assembly (compressor, condensor, evaporator)
Reservoir;
Pump;
waterblock;
and lines to run the liquid;

Hope this is of help to you :D

Back