• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

memorex402

can someone tell me what are some advantages and also disavantages(im writing a paper for my first period on this) on all sites i can find i can only find good things

d00d that is why YOU are writing the paper. YOU have to do the research and you can't expect us to spoon-feed it to you!:cool:

Watercooling:

expensive

doesn't get along with expensive components if it leaks.

I think these are the only drawbacks.

In a few words without going into too much detail:

A lot of work and sometimes money, but fun.
Pays off in noise reduction.
Better cooling performance.

I'll leave you to dig into the details. Overclockers.com and these forums are a great resource.

lol

some one said that is why you are doing research most of the research i hgave seen is from corprate site and thay only want to promote there product.on forums and stuff people only want to tell you what they did good and dont want to admit failuir

The only disadvantage that I can think of is the possibility of hosing (literally) your system if you have a leak, most of the time caused by carelessness I think.

this is what i have if you have any thing you can add to it would you please
thank you

Advantages
1.cools 30 percent more effecently than air
2.pays off in noise reduction because your computer dosent have to work as hrd to keep it cool
3.many different methods to choose from

Disadvantages
1.expensive
2.a lot of work
3. if it leaks it could ruin your computer
4.might not do a lot of good if you water flow is now at a good rate
5.some IDE cables get in the way and its sometimes a pain to put in your water cooling

wouldnt a disatvange be that if your water block wasnt properly set up right or you dont use the right type of water block that it could cause problems in the system, it could like leak water, let the system over heat, or something like that iam not sure. Maybe someone can explain it better.

I think I explained that earlier. User error is a disadvantage in any water cooling setup, either by carelessness or lack of knowledge.

You have probably forgotten the most important factor and that is the fact that 99% of the systems out there are techincally illegal and breach most safety laws concerning the use of water in proximity to an electrical appliance using mains supply.
Most of us won't admit it but we are playing with very dangerous things which could easily end in tragedy. I hope that most of us realise this and ensure that when we do this kind of thing that every precaution possible is taken to prevent an accidental leak especially one that could penetrate the most dangerous component of all the PSU.

Water cooling is illegal? Whoa, never heard that before. Well, we wouldn't be able to legally sell them on the open market, but we are responsible for our own actions, so as long as we don't harm others, what we're doing is okay.

Tiger said:
You have probably forgotten the most important factor and that is the fact that 99% of the systems out there are techincally illegal and breach most safety laws concerning the use of water in proximity to an electrical appliance using mains supply.
Most of us won't admit it but we are playing with very dangerous things which could easily end in tragedy. I hope that most of us realise this and ensure that when we do this kind of thing that every precaution possible is taken to prevent an accidental leak especially one that could penetrate the most dangerous component of all the PSU.

I doubt it's illegal. There are plenty of watercooling rigs available as pre built systems. Some even have watercooled power supplies. If they were illegal those would not be on the market and liability would be enormous.

I do agree that care should be taken to keep water out of the PSU though!

Tiger said:

uh? correct me if i am wrong but arn't most pumps mains powered?

a good article on the merrits of each cooling method can be found here: http://www.procooling.com/articles/html/cooling_technologies_explained.shtml

There was someone last week that mentioned this. He was selling his house and an electrician came to inspect the house for electrical safety and told him that this appliance breaches saftey law and required special adapters to be fitted to the wall sockets. I have never seen any manufacturer of commercial rigs make any claim that their system comply with safety standards laid down by various authorities. You'll notice that any electrical appliance sold for use in a bathroom has notices stuck all over it that it complies with certain regulations and that by breaking the seal could void this. I don't think it is offence to sell equipment like this but it may an offence to use it.
I have looked up the info that came with my Maxijet pump and it says quote "This Maxijet is in comformity with official safety standards EN 60335-2-41" and goes on to warn that it may not be used in a bathroom.

supercomputers are liquid-cooled and the US government owns many of them. they are breaking their own laws if liquid-cooling is in fact illegal as you say it is.

its not really illegal its a kind of saftey standard that you should be weary of liquid near a electrical appliance but its nto fo all electrical appliances yall know that just for certain things you know that some electrical appliances are actully used fr stuff in the water anyways

KFB said:
supercomputers are liquid-cooled and the US government owns many of them. they are breaking their own laws if liquid-cooling is in fact illegal as you say it is.
These are commercially built systems and for insurance reasons would have to have certification and would be regularly inspected by qualified electricians and cleared for safety. This does not occur in the domestic situation.

Back