• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for a reliable way to check temperature of mobo and cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsamu48887

Asus CUSL2
P3/866
256 Ram
Asus GeForce 4 8460
XP Home

I have just installed XP and am not able to install the Asus Probe to check temperature, fans, and voltage.

Is there a separate product on the market that can do the above accurately?

motherboard monitor 5, hardware monitor, you are better off not using asus probe, it is very inacurate. Mine is 22C too high....

btw, you can download both from Cnet

Go for Hardware monitor, just look for it in the downloads section. It is easier to set up than MBM5, and is just as accurate with temps and RPM's. The only thing is it doesnt monitor voltage like MBM5. Just search for "Hardware Monitor". Itll be there. Download and intall and your off and running.

Yeah, I use MBM5 and I'm satisfied with it. Just go into BIOS to check the temps and then go into MBM5 and see what they match up with. Shouldn't be a problem.

CompuNurse/DidgiDoc are temperture sensors that you can attach directly to your cpu and gives very accurate readings. If you are not sure if your MOBO is giving a accurate reading than this is the way to go. MBM5/SISOFT/AsusProbe etc..all give readings from the onboard sensor. Some boards are a little off in regards to giving accurate temps. Check out some threads from those who have your board and see how accurate the readings are. If the board is accurate than using MBM5 should be fine. The best thing to do is check your temp from MBM5 than reboot and compare to the temp reading in your bios...this way you can see if there are temp diff....MBM 5 allows you to compensate if the reading should be off...I adjusted mine for 3c.
Good luck..OH btw....HardwareMonitor is another good utility.idiot proof!!!

Bios and MBM5 report the temps from the same sensors on the mobo. The only difference is in bios the computer has not booted into windows. Once in windows the temps being reported by MBM5 may be higher because you now have placed a load on the system.

gsamu48887 said:
Thank you but I guess I'm a bit of a beginner. If I go to CNET, what name products should I look for.

Since you're just starting out, go for mbm5.
Here's a screenshot so you can see what you can expect from it.

I actually like CPUcool better, it is just as accurate, starts up faster and has more functions (for example, a "cooling" mode)

i have not tried this myself but i believe that if you goto radio shack and pick up one of those in/outdoor thermometers and place them in your case they might work. i was also thinking about having a few of these in/outdoor thermometers and then taking the case off and making a new one with all of the lcds showing.

That Radio Shack idea is a little more complicated than that...you have to take it all apart and attach another wire and strip the diode off the end..IMO, I think that it is cheaper to buy a didgidoc/CompuNurse...Unless you like to tinker then that would be a great project:cool:
I used to have a link where it showed how to make a Thermal sensor using a radio shack indoor/outdoor temp guage. I did not read G33K's link yet....I will check it out now. I am sure if you r keen and do a search you will find the instructions...maybe post more links on how to make of these. or results if any of Y'all try it.

Back