• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LED question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyber mouse45

Cyber Cheesiest Senior
Hey, I’m getting ready to start planning where all the wires are going to go in my case, and I have a question. How do I hook a switch, LED and fan up? I want the led to come on when the fan is on, and go off when the fan is off. I’ve never done this before, so I don’t know what to do. Here’s a pic of the parts that I have. Do I need any more parts? I don’t have the switches yet, but I’ll be getting them soon.

Is it possible to have a green LED come on when the fan is on, and a red one when it’s off?
Thanks so much for your help! :D

With a SPDT (on-on) switch it is very easy to setup a red-green led. You can buy Bi colored Leds (leds that light up 2 colors) that have 3 leads, one for ground and the others for lighting the different colors. You will need some resistors to lower the voltage for the leds the resistor depends on the voltage and current rating of the led.

Last edited:
Iron Hawk said:
With a SPDT (on-on) switch it is very easy to setup a red-green led. You can buy Bi colored Leds (leds that light up 2 colors) that have 3 leads, one for ground and the others for lighting the different colors. You will need some resistors to lower the voltage for the leds the resistor depends on the voltage and current rating of the led.

Wow, I didn't know I could do that. I’ve never used one before in my life, so could you tell me what sort of resistor I would need for this LED? Thanks!!!! :)

ok, here are the stats for that LED

30mA max (lets say 25mA (.025A) so we are not burning this sucker at max)

2 VDC typical

v=i*r therefore r=v/i

r=(12-2)/.025

r=400

so somewhere around 400ohms

I would recomend 390ohms, but not less than 320
Resistors can be added together in series if you cannot find the exact rating.

1/2W or 1/4W like these? How do I add two together? Do I just put one right in front of the other?

Oh now this stinks. Radioshack doesn’t have any of the right switches in stock. :(

cyber mouse45 said:
1/2W or 1/4W like these? How do I add two together? Do I just put one right in front of the other?

1/4 watt is fine, the 1/4 watt value is just a small resistor, it doesn't matter whether you use 1/4 watt, 1/2 watt, etc. The LED doesn't care.

Yes you put them in line (series) and you add the resistance of the two to find the total resistance.

RadioShack never has all of the parts you need :mad:

I just ordered the resistors from RadioShack yesterday, and I need to find someone that sells the right kind of switch too. I'll let ya know how it all works out. :D

cyber mouse45 said:
I just ordered the resistors from RadioShack yesterday, and I need to find someone that sells the right kind of switch too. I'll let ya know how it all works out. :D
You might try a hardware store too. Look in the electrical section.

Hey Iron Hawk, I have a quick question for ya. What’s that little line there? Is it a wire? Thanks.

the box with the dotted line is a SPDT switch, that little thing is just part of the drawing.

The black dot is where electricity flows in, and depending on the switch setting, flows out thru one of the white dots.

Hey Iron Hawk, I have one more question for ya. I have a few led’s that I found but I have no idea where they came from. I think I’d like to use them, but I don’t know what resistor to use. What do I do?

Back