• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do i safely remove hs/fan on geforce3ti200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twump

I have a bunch of fans sitting around that i want to use. one of which is a crystal orb vga cooler.

does anyone know how to safely remove the heatsink from the card? I was able to remove the fan and i was able to get the black plugs free but its glued on and don't know how to take it off without messing anything up.

all help is appreciated

Twump.

first, put in static bag
put in freezer for 15 minutes
remove from freezer
take credit card and flat head screw driver
now pry it off

works every time :p hope this helps

Or use a hair dryer to slightly warm it up and do the same as above. It is thermal tape holding the heat sink to the gpu. Heat will soften the glue so the heat sink can be carefully pryed off. Hint: use a credit card below the screw driver in order to prevent damage to the board.

thanks guys

i think i'll try the hairdryer method to avoid any unwanted contact with moisture

are u sure it is epoxyed on? Mine wasn't, it had little plastic holders going througg it to the back of the card. Just uses plyers and carefully push the pins together on the back of the card, and push them through to the other side.

it has both

the black push pins i can get free but it is glued onto the chip also

I thought the Gainward was glued as well however thanks to some other members here, I was informed it was attached with thermal tape and alas it was. Remember not to heat it up too much, just enough to soften the adhesive and pry it up slowly. Take Care.

Back