• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Must be my memory timings.. Why are my times slow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

klear

I am crunching a .415 wu right now and at 88%, it says 4:22 hours total...

My 950 duron crunches in 7-9 hours, and my 1ghz I have no idea because its on linux.

My motherboard is Abit KG7 w/ AMD761 chipset.

11.5x144... to get me 1656mhz and I am still falling behind on speed than you guys..

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to edit and make better my memory timings?

I'm :mad:

Well the easiest thing to check for first is make sure your ram is set to cas2, and then if there are any options like turbo, delayed transaction, etc you enable those.

Also you can check to see how fast your other system is crunching in linux by using something like midnight commander (type mc in most distribs) and look at the state.sah file and check the progress - cpu time so far and percent done then use simple math to come up with an estimate for 100% done.

klear said:
I am crunching a .415 wu right now and at 88%, it says 4:22 hours total...

My 950 duron crunches in 7-9 hours, and my 1ghz I have no idea because its on linux.

My motherboard is Abit KG7 w/ AMD761 chipset.

11.5x144... to get me 1656mhz and I am still falling behind on speed than you guys..

Can someone give me detailed instructions on how to edit and make better my memory timings?

I'm :mad:

Go into Advanced Chipset Features, and set the latencies to everything to low, make sure it is 4 way intereleve, and if possible 1CMD Command Rate (Try this last, it can cause instablity easily). If it's not working add more voltage to the ram.

Most of the fast speeds you are seeing are on KT266A or faster chipsets. The AMD761 was fast in its day, but the SiS735 was faster than it, then along came KT266A, KT333, etc.

You should still be able to get more out of it. Try the above suggestions. Your speeds seem to be in the KT133A range.

your not going to get as low as most of the other guys running kt266a chipsets,with memory performance lower on your mobo and seti loving memory speed.
set the timings lower and see what you come up with
:)

Well last night i was messing with it and couldn't get too much more done. So I decided to get the Gigabyte 7VRXP (KT333). Ordered it yesterday so I should be getting it on tuesday. I will let you guys know if anything improves. Thanks for the help, yet again!

what would I do without you guys ;) ;)

klear said:
Well last night i was messing with it and couldn't get too much more done. So I decided to get the Gigabyte 7VRXP (KT333). Ordered it yesterday so I should be getting it on tuesday. I will let you guys know if anything improves. Thanks for the help, yet again!

what would I do without you guys ;) ;)

I heard that the board is a pain when it comes to overclocking. There's no reset cmos jumper so you have to take the battery out wait (Joe waited for 30mins) and try again.

I've found with the Gigabyte Dual BIOS boards, clear CMOS isn't necessary. If the primary is so bad the system won't function, it will boot off the second BIOS. From there you can change everything including the primary.

hi all,
actually in the 7VRXP board rev 1.1 there's a CL_MOS pin jumper.
it's in the board and shown in the manual.

Yes, I have the 1.1 rev and it has a clear cmos jumper, it just doesn't have an actual plastic jumper, so you just have to stick another one on and it clears the primary. You can't clear the backup cmos.

Another thing, you can flash the bios from windows with this board. I did it last night, works great.

Overclocking would be great if I would unlock my xp.. It has dip switches, but i am not that much of a rebel.

The only think im unhappy with is the availablility of chassis fans connecting to the motherboard. There is only one place for a chassis and 1 place for a cpu fan, of which the Volcano 7+ takes both slots, therefor i have to use psu connecting case fans all across the board.

but other than that, this board has it all... RAID, ATA133, USB2.0, green IDE cables(i cant get over them).

Now im doing a .417 in 3.6 hours.

klear said:
Another thing, you can flash the bios from windows with this board. I did it last night, works great.
what's the latest bios version?
I heard that F6 gives so much troubles..., did you experience any problem after the bios upgrade?
is there an option to backup current bios and reload again from backup if there's any problem with the new bios?

F6e is the latest and yes, I flashed it and I was very happy that I had an extra bios becuase it screws it up.. Yes, there is an option to save the current bios and I reloaded it easily. So the current (working) version is F4. Do not attempt to flash with F6e (hence the *beta* tag that they put on it on the website)

thank god my 7VRXP is still offline. if not I maybe tempted to try downloading the latest bios as well.
I wonder why gigabyte hasn't remove the faulty bios nor put the fix for it. it has been reported everywhere about the faulty bios.

Back