• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Want to recommend me a fridge?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CharlesHF

Sometime soon, this summer, after school gets out (May 25th:) ) I'll probably gather up some money after paying for my car insurance and buy a fridge and go to fridge cooling. I'll probably do most of what was described here.
It can't be too large, it has to fit in my 10x12x8 (dxwxh) closet of a room with a twin size bed, large stereo, desk, and computer. So, needless to say, it'll be a "dorm" type refrigerator. I want it to be quiet, because I don't like that many noises while sleeping, although after a while I'll get used to it.
I also want a fairly powerful fridge. And, if it has automatic defrosting (that's probably pushing it) it'd be even better.
But, I'm going to have connectors on the outside and the inside of the fridge so that I can move it, so I guess that the defrosting feature isn't too big of a deal.

So, if you can recommend one based on personal experience (or not, that's ok too) I'd appreciate it!

I don't have a particular recommendation, but I gave the article a quick read and didn't see any mention of the fridge's capacity to remove heat (i may have just not seen it). What I mean is, if your cpu puts out 100W (which you can easily get to these days with a good oc), then the fridge has to be capable of removing that load CONSTANTLY. I don't know too many dorm fridges that can do that. So whatever fridge you do end looking at, make sure it can handle the heat load your cpu will generate.

I dunno, my "dorm" fridge stays pretty damn cold. If I set it to the max setting I can freeze a bottle of juice sitting inside. But it does take a while for it to cool everything down, especially if there's a lot of stuff in it.

Maybe try to find similar size freezer instead of frig. With a little antifreeze and constant flow over the cpu, I doubt it would ever gel or freeze the liquid.

hpotter-I'm glad that they get cold. I'm only planning to have water, and maybe the occasional drink/snack in it.
Tweaked!--I'm not sure. The smallest chest freezer I can find is around 5cu. feet, and it's around $179. That's a little more than I want to pay. Not to mention, it'd take up a huge amount of space.

$179 that sounds pretty steep. I got mine for under $100 I think. But then again my brother works at Best Buy so he gets the employee hookup as well.... you should ask around at college dorms. A lot of college students get the fridges but have no use for them later on.

hpotter--That's the cheapest I could find for a chest freezer , not a refrigerator. Most decent ones I can fine (GE) are around $80-90.

ahhh that would explain it. well good luck in your search, if I come across any chest freezers I'll be sure to pass it along.

Thanks for the thought, hpotterm but......I don't think that I'd like to have a chest freezer in my room. It'd be too loud, and it'd take up too much space.

Now, at my dad's office, that would be cool. I was desiging him a cooling system for all of his computers. He has to have big, powerful computers for his office, since he's an architect. There are......3 computers used for drafting, and a server. I was thinking that we could get that $179 5cu. ft. freezer and put in his office, and have a big common reservoir of coolant (distilled water, antifreeze, water wetter, etc) and the 4 computers could all have their lines going to that with 4 pumps inside it. I also found out that it would less expensive than buying 4 good quality radiators, which usually run~$50. (and it would keep them cooler)

I'm just wondering what is clients would think when they come in to meet with my dad........."What are all these tubes with green........stuff in them going to your computers??" Lol.
:D :rolleyes:

Back