• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hiding fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stikphysh

is it just me or do you get tired of seeing fans pasted all over a nice looking case? yeah, it looks powerful, but thats why we have windows. to showcase what we got right? personaly, i want to hide all my fans as much as i can. see, i got one behind my front bezel already and its not enough. to start, when i pull the bezel off, the cpu temp drops 13 degrees. thats just cuz it restricts airflow. the obvious answer is to cut a big round hole and thow a grill cover on it. thats what i want to avoid though. i hate that look. id like to add a second fan behind that bezel though, and maybe a blowhole. does anyone have any idea how i can hide some fans so its not obviouse they are there? i just had a revelation.... maybe i could custom cut my logo into the case and leave the fan behind it. thats my logo under my name btw. i mean, yeah, youd see the fans and all in there, but at least it wouldnt be a huge grill, it would still all be flat. or maybe i could drill some holes to make that design. i dunno. any other ideas? right now im up for about anything. :burn:

My thought exactly. I got sick of seeing (and hearing) them. So on my new case I did my best to hide them. I put most of them in the back. Seems to work pretty well. Full tower case, XP1800. (around 36c-37c full load) I got 7 fans on it and you can't see any of them from the front, top or sides.
I do have one fan in the front, possibly gonna use 2 soon, but there is a little hole at the bottom of the front pannel so I used a fan (shroud??) to duct it in from there.

You can keep them the intake ones in front and keep it looking good. Just add something to the front to kind of hide them. Like the CD holder on the front of new Compaqs. They are on top of the fan.

I am invisioning a camoflauged case with black netting over the fans in front? Are you people seeing this too?

Simple

I had another one of my friends that was on the femanin side and thought the fans were ugly. j/k lol I like fans except for the noise.

The fans up front with the little hole at the bottom of the bezel are wrecked! Typically haldf of the airflow is gone, on a 25 cfm fam , THATS A LOT. Put all your other intakes on the bottom of the case! You can easily attain positive pressure this way because most cases will hold 2-4 120mm fans on the bottom! Start at the front of the case if your doing just 1 so the air flows over more cards and such. then fill up towards the back as you add new ones.
Time to grab your holesaw and some contact paper!

i do like the idea of the fans at the bottom. just gotta get the case off the ground somehow. that wont be hard though. the other one is a replacement for a blowhole. i think i can rig up some sort of ducting to get it out the back, but like a genius i made the window huge and ducting dont look good. heres some pics i took. the lightings bad and all the gaps between the pannels show up real bad but oh well.

DUDE thats a sweet case i love it!

mine is similar, get a RED light in there!!!

heres my red/black box!
im gonna stick some red leds in the fornt to light up that amd logo! and them holes!

edit: i gota paint that rheostat nob! BLUE IS EVIL!

hey, does your red cathode really turn out red or is it kinda pink? ive heard both sides of the story on this one.

iv heard the red cathodes are pink also, i use 2 ultra bright leds

Your front bezel can add to the airflow if handled properly. Scroll down to "Holes in the Face Plate" at Benchtest. The Lite-On FS020 takes advantage of this principle.

ok. heres what ive decided to do. lemme run it by you just to see what you think... first, to eliminate the blowhole, im just gonna have a fan with a funnel on it that sits about an inch off the top and blows down. my thought is that the fan will suck the warm air trapped up there and throw it down into the center of the case to be sucked out by the fans in the back. to help with that i will add another fan back there. to keep those fans from turning my computer into a vacuum (wouldnt be neat to have it implode my box) ill get more air in through the bottom. heres where the problem lies. i need a good way to get the box off the ground.... i tried to bum the feet of my friends case, but he wasnt goin for it:argue: anyone got any good ideas? do they sell them feet things even? as of now the box sits on the carpet, so id like to get it up in the air a bit so im not suckin the mites out of my carpet. but what do you guys think about the fan up top idea and all? think it will work? lol

ok. ya lost me at "remove fans?" lol. are you asking if im plannin on removing fans? no, im not. gonna add three more actuall. one in the top to move air to the center of the case, one in the back to suck it out, and one in the bottom for fresh air. the next question is... what is the nb? i know psu is power supply unit, but not sure bout nb.

whats better? no noize? or noize? and better performance than noize?

called watercooling, gonna make a few more blocks, one for everything worth cooling...

Nice cases guys.....Masked, what did you use to attach that window? I can't really tell...is it glued on? Or Siliconed? I am planning a window mod on my antec case as soon as h20 project is done and was contemplating riveting it. I have already decided against that molding...that junk is just plain ugly IMHO. I really like the riveted look of the Lian Li PC-75 window, and want to do it like that, but a glue of sorts might be nice also...but then I'd worry about it falling off.....how'd you do yours?

XiveX

i used 2sided tape, and also, its glass in mine, so i cant rivit mine... but rivits would look cool!

id say paint yoru case black and have the rivits the regular color so they stick out! that would be cool!

Back