• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lets get motivated

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

{PMS}fishy

We have almost 400 more members than SETI team AMDmb but there are still 50,000+ WUs ahead of us. Lets pass them soon and get more crunchers online ASAP. Its great to see teamwork like the two norsemen who are pulling in almost 1000 WUs in a week. With member dedication like this I see no problem in climbing up the SETI ladder. Lets just make it sooner than later.

Money is the ultimate motivator. :D
in my experience bribery works well...

this idea may not work....but could it be possible to ask new members that are signing up for forum access if they want to sign on to seti? like a field it the form, or a pop-up or something. that way we could get new members......or it could be the worst idea ever.....you make the call.

it has been awhile on this for me...

we used to promote/recruit in the general topic thread... that worked well, I think, but is now out of vogue...

attraction is till our best bet... we have, I believe, the number of folks we do now because of how our community sticks together here...

ah hell, how about some kind of contest? a SETI goodie? what would we award it for?

OK... we limit it to "active" members... highest % of increase over 1 month wins... we run 3 months of contests... once an inactive member "activates" they qualify for the next contest...

sorry all... just thinking aloud here....

TC said:
Easier said than done, but a good idea. We have more members and a more popular cause (overclocking includes both AMD and Intel) which should help. I have been pondering this idea for nearly a year. How do we motivate the vast majority of our team that do very little relative to the top 200 or so? I suppose I could send them some sort of email. Kris do you have any ideas?

You can start by buying us all Dual Prestonias.

A real good idea is similar to Folding. People were so crazy over the contests that people wouldn't even reboot, or defrag or install hardware to lose to that thing! Me thinks we should have a contest.

With the contest on, we can put it in our sigs, and members will say "Hey I want that chip, what would I have to do?"

Yodums

I've always wondered why the site does ot promote its DC teams more. More energetic promotion on the front page of the web site combined with the idea of informing people how they can join either team when they register for the forums etc. should lead to a nice growth spurt for all the oc.com teams.

Other than that I guess having a contest would help. :)

Cy

I'm up with the contest, I think that some of us can get some money into a jar (keep it under Kris, Tim or Sean for a while) and run a contest. With the money we collect we can pay a good prize. For example say we can get 30 bucks. With that money we could buy a Duron or a HSF taht we can give to the winner. Who say yes?

or even stuff you have laying around...for a serious contest, I would be willing to donate a 1 Ghz Duron (morgan). I know its not much...but its something.

oh yea...I got my tax returns yesterday...can we say new dually??¿¿ :D

heheh..6 xp's crunching....soon to be 2 more :D

A consest seems to be the best idea. But who is going to be enterend into it. Thats where I became a little bit lost. Would it be for inactivte members retutning to activte duty, or something along those lines. Other wise we may as well give the prize to the two norseman.:D I was also thinking something along the lines of production. The largest increase in production over a 1 month period, would that be hard to track? Or we could all try to recurit people and who ever recruits the most new members could be ther winner.

Yeah...I agree. At least this first time maybe we should run a contest for NEW people coming to the team Have a 30-60-90 day contest for whomever comes onboard and produces the most will win the prize. :D After we see how things go maybe we can try some contests inside the team (other than the usual team races). :)

Cy

if we did this based on % increase, the norsemen wouldn't win... probably someone who had not crunched before would... but this would be VERY easy to sandbag too...

perhaps, a 30-90 days "most units" contest for the newbies... AND a "highest change to your Daily WU Avg" (in the weekly stats) for, say, a 30 or 60 day period (4 & 8 weeks are already tracked)... this would be slanted in favor "reactivating" members...

again, just some thoughts...

What would be better for a prize, crunching hardware or SETI stuff--shirts, mugs, etc--from the Berkely store?

I don't think the contest should be over who produces the most. That just gives the hardware to the people that need it the least. I read earlier that whoever has the greatest percent increase in their own production. That way, everyone is equal, unless you want to work out a handicap system like in golf.

Anyway, under the percent increase system, if someone goes from 2 a day to 3 a day, by finding another machine to crunch on, there's 50 percent for them. It's harder for the *orsemen to increase though. If the Norsemen are getting 1000 a week, they'd have to hit 1500 a week to get the same percentage. I think that this gives everyone a fair chance, and new members or the members that aren't addicted and buy boxen just for seti won't feel like they can't win agains 1000 a week...

**edit**

A good prize might be a memebership into the planetary society, the organization that funds seti the most.

Re: tips

Morpheus said:
What would be better for a prize, crunching hardware or SETI stuff--shirts, mugs, etc--from the Berkely store?

Hardware, that way the winner will be able to either upgrade and produce more WUs or build a new computer and produce more WUs

I like the contest idea for inactive/new members.

As for personal motivation, Wookie has supplied that by staying in front of me for the last two months or more. Now I'm in the process of bringing some more GHz online or back online. Everyone needs an opponent for motivation! :D

Sean and I were mulling the idea of getting some banner ads for the team site and perhaps that would generate enough income to raffle off a duron and mobo each month.

This may sound a little complex, but we could run two contests, one for people who joined with the last 2 months or something or even a month, and another for the people who already been here.

Like the Folding contest, we could count every WU as a ticket, and at the end we pick out 2 tickets from each category.

I mean, as much as you produce, everyone still has a good chance of winning!

Yodums

I would say that hardware would be the way to go! Mo crunching, mo crunching, mo crunching! :D We could take donations or money or extra hardware and build a crunching box! That way the winer gets to improve their numbers and the team does as well. :)

Cy

if we do the ticket thing, then there should be a ceiling for the month, or something like that. otherwise the same people will probably win every month. something like you cant own more than 5% of the tickets entered....or something.

Back