• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PIII 700 oc w/o cooling?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Freq

Registered
I have a P3 700Mhz chip, and an Asus CUSL2-C mobo... I was considering going ahead and bumping up the chip speed... see if I can reach around the 900 mark.

My question is, in anyone's professional opinion with this chip and mobo, would I be safe to overclock it without any additional cooling? I have the stock HSF and no extra fans on the case... does anyone think I run a high risk of burning it up?

Also, what would be a safe voltage for me to shoot for to achieve the 900Mhz mark and not run it too hot.

Thanks for any replies...

All my P3 700's i had last year ran at 933+ with stock cooling and voltage at around 1.75v.
I was using the ASUS P3V4X though. With watercooling i had one of the 700's @ 1050 which was my best.

the best I ever got my P3 700 was 1072 with an Alpha P3125 and low noise Panaflo 60mm fans..

that was with an Abit Be6-II Raid board..

I have a 733 that I got up to 85x, I forget exactly, but it got up to 90C on stock cooling, I am not sure bit i am going to go out on a limb and guess that that is not good for the chip. I bought some slot 1 orbs and they brought my temps down 30-40 degrees. Good luck,

Explorer

i had a p3 700 cB0 stepping that did 933 (133 bus) at default voltage rock stable for a year and a half before i sold it... used the retail heatsink

i have a cd0 stepping 700e running very nicely @ 1.85v at the speed in my sig, with absolutely no cooling at a decent hsf (thermoengine, the quiet one).

should be good for 933, 1ghz+ is up to you.

Back