• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my ge 4 ti 4600 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compexpert

Disabled
Hey i have a question i just modded my ge 4 ti 4600 i added some ram sinks and i put the duron hsf fan on ( u know the hsf u get with a duron 1.2 morgan). Ne way im parnoid that the heat sink may not be working i think it is but not sure i used some arctic silver adhesive mixed with arctic silver 3 ( to take off easy just in case) Well when i had the stock cooling hsf on i the back of the card where the gpu is was hot enough to make me moove my fingers away after 10 seconds, even if i just had the comp on for 5 min

Well now the new hsf on it i play games for hours i put my finger to see how hot it is and it's hot of couse but i can keep my fingers on so its alot cooler than before.. So does this mean i did it right ? I think i did seems i did also but im not sure since this is my first time modding a card Any good advice would be helpfull

PEACE:beer:

YA THANKS i mean i know in my head its working i just dont want to find out later on that i have a burnt mark or something gos wrong u know how u get all those terrible tthings in youre mind cuss its a 4600 ge 4 but as long as it stays cool i check it every hour or so and if it doesnt lock up i chould be fine then i guess and hope

Its not exactly your scenario. I'm running Gaiward TI 4400 @ 703/ 302 with AC3 and the stock blower. I really don't make a habbit of touching my card because A: I have no idea what it's suppose to feel like stock since I oc'd it from the first 10 seconds of install. The way I see it if you don't get the vertical lines or the lock-ups after looping an intense Graphics benchmark your OK. Thats just my input. I ussually have 2-3 different video cards a year all of which I OC and the last one I wasted from Overclocking was a VooDoo 3000 that I was really putting the hurt on. I'm proud to say I smoked it on the Legendary "Quaver Demo" compliments of the reverand. Anyone remember that one? I have had pretty good success with those simple steps as I feel you will as well. I don't worry about feel because if the card runs fine than who cares. After all isn't that why they install the heatsinks? :D Good luck! It seems as if you have reached your goal as far as touch goes that is so I would say your in great shape!

hey gusy i just had a freaking scary thing happen to me my card all of a suddon got lins and dots on my screeenn eeek i took the hsf on and put the stock back on no change i reseted the cmos no change and then i changed drivers no change damn arctic silver was on the card OR WORSE UNDER THE GPU so i used a total of 30 qtipes and a 16 oz bottle of rubbing alcohol to get my card working right phew im lucky. im neva ganna put a hsf on the card again.

i dipped the card in a bucket with the alcohol then shook the card and rubbed it gently with a spunge i nthe rubbing alc then i used used tips to cleen it more soakd in rubb alc then iblew as close as i could on the ram and gpu to get the stuff if any got under neeth tunred the comp on it works now the fps is the same card is the same and no more lines :D :D :D im lucky wel is thier anything out thier thats and adhesive that isnt conductive like the arctilver adhesive crap???:mad:

That stuff is not crap. You must have put an awful lot on the chip. Your only suppose to apply a real thin layer and rub some of the stuff into the mating surface (heatsink). If you use it that way it wont be going all over the place. A real thin layer should get you buy A OK. I slopped in on before heavy on my MSI G FORCE 3 to prove to someone the outcome. It locked up during the 3D XP screensaver within minutes! I removed it and placed a thin layer and it's never had an issue since.

should i give it another try i think what happend was a little artic silver just got on the board im ganna use some waxe paper so that only the top part on the gpu shows so i wont get any on the card shouldi do that i saw a article about putting hsf on vid cards saying you should do that

i mean i put my finger on my card now that the stock is back on i almost got burned it is so hot from my older athlon when it had a ****ty hsf on when it got 70 C it was burnning hot but not like this so this seem about 60 70 c and with the other hsf it was like 40 50 c im guessing tho

shouldi give it another go and do what i said with the paper or no ?

no i used a very thin layer i know how much to put on i think that the stuff was on my finger and when i touched the board some got on it thats probly why but u just mised what i said

artic silver is non conductive.. so i dunno how that happned.. what kinda fan on ur card? mines a prety one

i dont care about looks i care about heat but if ya wanna know i have the regualr stock heat sink that came with my ge 4 but my other one is the duron hsf that came with my duron 1.2 morgan that i got a few days ago

and arctic silver is conductive go try put some on youre video card and see what happens :p they say on thier website it isnt but it can be conductive and the adhesive is worse

Artic Silver products are electrically capacitive, which is almost as dngerous as being conductive in this case.

The adhesive and the compound should have relatively similar electrical characteristics.

Supposedly the silver particles are seperated be the suspension agent and are non conductive. Even so, it will act like a capacitor when it gets near or across board traces or chip connectors. At the high frequencies those boards run at, any stray capacitence will act just like a short.

so should i give it another go and this time take every precaution ans step to make sure i dont get and on the board and just the top gpu part

Yeah give it another try. Just remember that you want just enough to fill any micro air gaps between the mating surfaces but not squeeze out when you clamp it down. Artic has directions and pictures at their site. Print them out and keep them handy when you're making the application.

Back