• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cleaning the waterblock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JaY_III

Senior of BX
well its almost summer again, so time to move back to watercooling :)
now i just have to clean my waterblock out nice and good....

Just wana ask what do you think the best method would be?

I know of the Vinigar method, fill the block up, let it sit, then rinse it out....
Or the butane.... fill the block with butane and BlOW the gunck out.....

But I am thinking BOTH of the two methods may not be the best for my blocks health.

So, Ideas?

im kinda wondering the same thing, cuz after i soldier a block its all nasty in the insides

the butane thing can be fun...
but i did just set my leg on fire.....
the flame do shoot far.

well the idea is to "BLOW" all the gunk out of the waterblock.
So what you do is fill your block up with Butane (more butane bigger boom) and light.

Do this outside. You will hear a loud pop, and flames will then shoot out of your block. not only should you make sure your hand is out of teh may but your leg too.

I dont think its the best method around, but it is by far the funnest to do....... and after a good butaning or too you know nothing can be living in that block.

is that compressed stuff? or is it that stuff you put in zippo'z?

comes in can under pressure, so compressed....
Zippo's use NAPTA, or Lighter Fluid as it is mainly called.

how do you get that stuff to stay in the block? it evaporates so fast!

I put the butane can upside down (as you do to fill anything butane) and plug one end of the waterblock with a finger....
And fill the block up in the other hole.....

Then i got my lighter (light) and moved it near the end of the block (finger is now moved) and BANG.....

I really need to find that other thred were they were talking about cleaning blocks like this.

jay said:
I put the butane can upside down (as you do to fill anything butane) and plug one end of the waterblock with a finger....
And fill the block up in the other hole.....

Then i got my lighter (light) and moved it near the end of the block (finger is now moved) and BANG.....

I really need to find that other thred were they were talking about cleaning blocks like this.
i've never tried that sound cool the next time i clean my block thats wat i'll try lol

got the vinegar in the block right now......
gota make sure i get all the badguys out.

i'm not so sure just killing the bad guys is good enuf u really have to remove the dead bad guys lol if u know wat i mean with my lst experience i put baking soda and vinegar and blasted the whole lot out with water and compressed air. u should have seen the junk that came out when i blew the air thru it.

I can take a guess as to what kind of junk comes out....
the butane fires some nasties of its own :)

If I where watercooling I think I'd try some strong acid. Something stronger than vinegar. But not so strong as to damage the block.

KaHNZa said:
If I where watercooling I think I'd try some strong acid. Something stronger than vinegar. But not so strong as to damage the block.

thats why u use vinegar. cleans all te rubish with out taking too much if ur block out:beer: :beer:

well i am typing at 14-17C right now, room temp 22C :)
no load.........
so i think it worked :D
time for some 100% full load test
celeron 900@1200

jay said:
well i am typing at 14-17C right now, room temp 22C :)
no load.........
so i think it worked :D
time for some 100% full load test
celeron 900@1200
how u get temps below ur ambient??? pelts?? chiller??

Digital probe read case temp as 22.3C
Motherboard probe (external) read case temp as 22C
Intel on-die Probe reads CPU as 19.5-21C, 100% full load over 15min
Motherboard temp is 26C (no fan on northbridge)

I am going to have to run some tests in the day when its warmer out to see what this set-up can do in the day..... (1:40am right now)

Danger Den Maze1
Water Bong, 5'4''
400 GPH pump
aprox 20L res.

current temp is 15C

does all that junk like the green stuff from the copper does that hinder the cooling performance ? cuss my maze 3 has alot green junk in it just wondering

Back