• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Air cooling with Lian mid towers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
OK, I am still more or less a newbie. I have a PC-7 and an old 633 Cel @ 997. I am starting to think about case fans...either adding to or upgrading from the stock ADDA fans (31CFM).

With the stock case fans and Vol. 7, 950 was no problem, 980 was no problem and 988/997 were both flakey, though temps were never truly warm (27-28°C stressed). For the heck of it, I took an extra generic fan from a PS (8-blade 80x20mm), pulled a couple of I/O covers and double-side taped it up to the back for some more exhaust. To my surprise, I was able to bench 997 without any problems (locked in PCMark without the extra exhaust...and there were no changes to Vc or mem settings).

Could that honestly make that much of a difference even though temps aren't reading cooler??

Basically, I was just curious as to what those that are air-cooled with Lian mid cases and O/C'd P4s are doing for fans...upgrading to higher CFM units, adding more (where? what change in temps have you see?), or both?

I am not excited about cutting my new case (at least the top/side), so if I am going to make a permanent hole, I'd like to know it's in the most effective place :)

I am going to go P4 (1.8A or 2.0A) soon and want to be sure that it's as cool as possible. I have a rheobus, so I am not overly concerned with fans that can really move some air at full speed, though I'd like something that will run fairly quiet without having to shut the fan(s) off completely.

Any experiences are appreciated!
Ross

yes i have a lain li case and i put 50 cfm sunon fans in mine and it helped alot

case temp went below room temp ( magic of aluminum)

and my HD's temp went down 10F
cpu full load temp went down 6F
board temp went down 7 F

Thanks AZZKICKER. Yeah, I cut the rear "grill" out first thing...I wasn't concerned about cutting that like I am a 5" hole on top of my case :)

Damn, really? You replaced the 2 intake/1 exhaust with 50CFM versions and it dropped everything that much? I actually looked at some YS Tech 47CFM/37dB/3300RPM fans as replacements for the ADDAs just yesterday...I'll need to give them another look.

What are anybody else's before/after experiences as far as adding side intakes/top blow-holes/another rear exhaust in the Lians?

Thanks,
Ross

AZZKICKER said:
case temp went below room temp ( magic of aluminum)

Whoo Wee! Send me some of that magic that breaks the laws of physics!

Back