• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce -to-> Quadro Soldering Mod.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think arkaine23 has u can ask him although im thinking of doing that my self

Well my brother has a Creative Labs Geforce 32Meg DDR and we mod'd it, but my brother wasn't smart enough to benchmark it before hand, so I don't know if there was a gain or not. I recently fried my mobo and vid card, and if there is a decent gain in FPS when moding a GF2 based card then I might pick one up off of a friend who's upgrading.. if not I'll just have to get a GF4 ti 4200 or something I guess. :)

Quadrofy

Did somebody call my name???

Sorry to disappoint you guys... I've only hacked drivers in order to get Quadro, using rivatuner. You'll find a guide for that in Madonion's forums. As for soldering... I will get around to doing it eventually, but when I do, I'll make a jumper so that I can switch back and forth.

Quadro does not improve FPS in D3D games. It may boost OpenGL games though and is very good for OpenGL graphics art apps.

2 things to look for when starting out with Quadro-modding are GLinfo and GLXcess. The 1st will tell you if the Quadro is working by checking the number of driver extensions, the 2nd is an OpenGL benchmark and its quite pretty too.

In madonion's forum, go to the dispaly adpters/driver section and you'll find a monster thread about Quadro mods. You'll find linkes to the progs I mentioned and also some links to sites that have the hardware version of the mod. I'd also do some searching on x-bit labs for hardware hack guides.

When we did my bro's card we found a few sites that said which places to resolder, and we did so. We rebooted the machine and then installed Nvidia Detanator drivers and it said its a Quadro card. done and done! :)

Awesome! any performance difference? I tried the driver trick, but I didn't see any performance difference at all..

Quadro

Quadro is the professional workstation version of the Geforce line of cards. Oddly enough it uses the same gpu as its geforce brethren, but the gpu has extra instructions in the openGL department, thus it works better at CAD and other grahpics apps. Quadros cost much more than Geforces, and also are usually clocked higher and have more onborad memory. But any Geforce can be turned into a Quadro by moving a couple of resistors. It's mostly for bragging rights since it doesn't make your gaming any better. But for those who do heavy rendering and graphics design, it's a good way to save some money by converting a Geforce to a Quadro.

In one of my rigs I have a Elsa Geforce256 with a quadro hack done to it and can honestly say that there is NO noticable improvement that is benchmarkable, in fact the difference is so small that its hard to tell if the slightest change in benchmarks is because of all the other obvious variables rather than this mod. In a game playing enviroment I never noticed a major improvement in frame rate even though I have seen huge claims for what this mod achieves. I did however notice an imrovement in the speed at which high resolution graphics appear in applications such as Paint Shop Pro and similar.

Not really worth the effort imho..

the mod details can be found @ www.tweakhardware.com

Back