• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED 0x000124 error every time I try to boot to Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HeatM1ser2k4

Now, it seems like this is an error code that is given when you overclok too much. I was overclocking last night, and eventually got to a point where Windows froze and the computer would rebot. At the Windows logo I would get a BSOD with 0x000124 as the error message. I OC'd a little in the BIOS, then the rest of the overclocking I was doing was with software within windows.

Anyway, no matter what I did, I kept getting this error. I even reset the CMOS , and went into the BIOS and restored factory defaults. Same BSOD error message. A few times Windows did boot, but a few seconds later the computer froze and rebooted only to get the same BSOD error.

I didn't get a chance to see if the computer woudl boot to Windows this morning....but does anyone have any suggestions or comments?

EDIT: Is this even the correct forum to post this in since I was overclocking, or should I post in the motherboards or CPU's forums?

Last edited:
First, I think this section is fine, unless you needed serious overclocking help.
Second, definitely keep everything on defaults until you figure this out.
Third, make sure your memory voltage is set correctly and you could also separately try underclocking it. If it's rated 1600, try 1333.
Fourth, try a Windows repair. Something got corrupt when you overclocked, and a repair might fix it.
Fifth, run a memory test. Bad memory can EASILY cause numerous BSODs.

As far as the BSOD code, I'm not a professional with that... google then becomes your best friend. What else does the BSOD say, as far as type of error?

P.S. TRY SAFE MODE ALSO!! Does that work?? If so, you may have a driver issue that may have become corrupt.

The BSOD passes by so fast that I cant even see the additional BSOD error codes. I think I tried safe mode and got the same error, and a windows repair didn't fix anything :(
I'll try working with the RAM like you suggested

Take a picture with your camera. :)
Good luck. Keep us posted.

I wonder if it created a minidump... if you can browse the C drive, it'll be in C:\windows\minidump

A BSOD code x000124 means there isn't enough voltage for your CPU's overclock. Try bumping up the vcore a bit.
You should be able to hit 4.5ghz at around 1.3vcore.

Take a picture with your camera. :)
Good luck. Keep us posted.

I wonder if it created a minidump... if you can browse the C drive, it'll be in C:\windows\minidump

It did create a minidump...but it goes from 0-100 so fast that I dont think I'll be able to capture a picture...and even if I get into Windows, my system freezes after a few seconds and reboots.

A BSOD code x000124 means there isn't enough voltage for your CPU's overclock. Try bumping up the vcore a bit.
You should be able to hit 4.5ghz at around 1.3vcore.

Yeah, but I've been getting that error code even after resetting my CMOS to factory defaults. I was hitting 5.5Ghz when I OC'd to 4.8Ghz through the BIOS and the rest of the way by using the mobo software before getting the BSOD over and over. I'm wondering if I fried my mobo or CPU.

Last edited:
IF you cleared the CmOs correctly and rebooted to Load Optimized Defaults in bios and now you get BSOD in Windows and Safe Mode...you might as well get ready to REinstall the operating system due to corruption.

Well, I upgraded to an i7-2600k. Its only been in the system for 5 minutes....but with the i5-2500k I could barely stay in Windows 15 seconds before my computer froze and rebooted.

You'll have to read my story about Microcenter in the vendor discussion forums

Last edited:
So any updates on this?

I'm running i7-930 and has been stable at my typical under-volted 2.93ghz.

Was getting 0x00000124 and I believe 0x0000007F.

Restored bios to defaults, turned off Full-Phase since it's a Energy Hog, went to Normal phase. Set up my raid and set the default boot device on stock clocks 2.8ghz.

So far so good no BSOD yet. I'm also operating my i7 in 120F Ambient at the moment so it's tough getting stability of it!

I'd say get a new Heatpipe heatsink assembly that's more efficient than the stock.

For instance Dell has a special Intel X58 heatsink assembly they use on Alienware systems.

It cools the Southbridge, Mosfets, and Northbridge on one heat pipe assembly. There is one primary fan on the tall effective northbridge heatsink which effectively cools the mosfets, and southbridge at one central location.

IDK about you but in my 120F ambient my i7 at 4.2ghz Hyperthreading on saw 95C on Intelburntest.

So any updates on this?

I'm running i7-930 and has been stable at my typical under-volted 2.93ghz.

Was getting 0x00000124 and I believe 0x0000007F.

Restored bios to defaults, turned off Full-Phase since it's a Energy Hog, went to Normal phase. Set up my raid and set the default boot device on stock clocks 2.8ghz.

So far so good no BSOD yet. I'm also operating my i7 in 120F Ambient at the moment so it's tough getting stability of it!

I'd say get a new Heatpipe heatsink assembly that's more efficient than the stock.

For instance Dell has a special Intel X58 heatsink assembly they use on Alienware systems.

It cools the Southbridge, Mosfets, and Northbridge on one heat pipe assembly. There is one primary fan on the tall effective northbridge heatsink which effectively cools the mosfets, and southbridge at one central location.

IDK about you but in my 120F ambient my i7 at 4.2ghz Hyperthreading on saw 95C on Intelburntest.

Please make a new thread for your issue, this thread is over a year old and won't get attention.

Back