• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1,154 iPhone Pro Max doesn't ship with charging adapter

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
https://uk.pcmag.com/mobile-phones/...you-need-to-know-about-charging-the-iphone-12

Now of course... the argument... is that not including the adapter allows them to use smaller... thinner boxes and fit more boxes on a pallet... reduce carbon footprint... blah... blah... blah...

I've got an iPhone 12 box in my hand right now... there's enough space in there for an adapter.

But OKAY! Let's take the argument at face value. Let's say it's true: For $1,154... they could MAIL you an adapter. Or... better yet... give everyone who buys an iPhone 12 Pro Max a voucher for a FREE adapter.

There's no chance in hell you should still be coming out of pocket for spending that much money.

Of course MONEY... is the whole reason they didn't include the adapter in the first place. I'm not arguing Apple's accessory-heavy business practices here...

I'm just saying that there rationale doesn't stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny. Doesn't make any sense.

It just doesn't work.

The TRUTH would work: "We save about 50 cents for every adapter we don't include in a box... and then we make 25 euros off of it on the backend. That's why we do it." I could live with that.

"We couldn't make it work with out business model." I could live with that.

I'm just not buying the song-and-dance that they're selling. (Also... I didn't buy that iPhone 12. It's my girlfriend's. And she didn't buy it either. Her network provider gives her a new phone every two years... well... obviously not "gives".)

Yep I think it is crap as well. Their excuse that 'people already have chargers from previous phones so we don't need to send one'.

I don't have an iPhone, so if I went that route I'd have to drop extra on a charger and cable. Assuming that it's different than just a regular a->lightning cord and plug and a usbA on it.

I mean who doesn't have a fast USB-C charger already?:p:p

I mean it does use USB-C ??;)

Honestly iphones are for those who already knee deep in the Apple ecosystem... (and hence will have a charger).

I dropped out many years ago. I hated the Apple stores. I had bulging batteries, updates that bricked the phone, and Apple schemes that reduced battery life. It took till the iphone 6 to get my daughter off the koolaide.:thup: The whole continued use of a proprietary connector was too much....

I still like the company since I own shares and Apple prints money...but they can make me money while I enjoy my Pixel's.

I see both sides, I have to admit. Maybe ASK if it's needed or not. The default is 'without' but make it clear to add for free or something.

Hopefully it's still the same charger (though, I don't apple in my house, so this is of no worry until android phones start doing this).

The only pro for apple products is their support with security updates for 5-6 years+. On Android you're lucky to get 3 (like with our Pixels and some Samsung) at least without rooting and ROMing your phone.

The only pro for apple products is their support with security updates for 5-6 years+. On Android you're lucky to get 3 (like with our Pixels and some Samsung) at least without rooting and ROMing your phone.
Which would be useful if a battery lasted that long or one kept the phone that long....:D

Does ios give security updates each month?;)

It's just e-waste.

My Note 10+ cable and charger in the box.

My iPad cable and charger in the box.

Not as in they came in the box. More like they are still there in the box.

And I am sure with my next phone I will leave the charger and cable in the box.

I think your proposed voucher for a free 'if needed' charger would go a very long way toward any goodwill they are claiming for the environment. If that's why, and everybody has one, then great, don't include it but give them the option (or give the option for a free one at checkout if you need one). At that price, forcing people to spend an extra $30 if they don't already have one (or if the one they have isn't a fast charger, for instance) is just straight up greed.

It's just e-waste.

My Note 10+ cable and charger in the box.

My iPad cable and charger in the box.

Not as in they came in the box. More like they are still there in the box.

And I am sure with my next phone I will leave the charger and cable in the box.

I think your proposed voucher for a free 'if needed' charger would go a very long way toward any goodwill they are claiming for the environment. If that's why, and everybody has one, then great, don't include it but give them the option (or give the option for a free one at checkout if you need one). At that price, forcing people to spend an extra $30 if they don't already have one (or if the one they have isn't a fast charger, for instance) is just straight up greed.

Agreed. Getting people to pay almost 1200 bucks for a phone that doesn't come with a Leica engineer and Roger Deakins on Cinematography is the REAL waste. Apple can more than afford to give you at least an e-voucher for a charger.

I have all kinds of chargers laying around... but the one I use for my cat's water fountain slipped and broke into two pieces when I got back from Marseille. So I had to reach into my bag and grab him another.

And I often take spares on vacation with me or let friend's use them when they visit.

Nothing's useful... until you inevitably NEED IT. Then when it's not there... it's a problem.

Yeah its a bummer. For me when I get a new phone that new charge cable is almost needed lol. Although.. the one that came with my XS Max is still good.. shockingly. I don't see how it is e waste. I would rather use a 20w fast charger over the 5w square any day.. I do have an Anker 30w fast charger, but it barely works on our new iPad.. wtf right? phones no problem.. I am getting sick of their **** too. Good updates though. Our old 5S just took an update.. its 3rd or 4th since they dropped support for it.

Back