• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.4v ok for my new ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Hey guys, I just built a Ryzen system today. I have no clue what I'm looking at in the bios for CPU clocking, so I started with ram :D

I have a kit of F4-3200C14D-16GTRG and right now I have it running at 1800 14-14-14-14-34 1T 1.4v. Is that a relatively safe voltage? Stock is 1.35v.

No, but I didn't spent much time with it. It will do 3600 16-16-16-36 1T. I will play with it some more, it was really a weak attempt as I am still a little shy with this thing. The stock cooler isn't that great and the board is blasting like 1.4v at the CPU lol. Not all the time.. I haven't really spent a ton of time with it but I can a little tomorrow. This thing rips, I cant even feel the difference yet between clocks so I need to spend some more time to get acquainted.

Samsung B usually runs without issues up to 1.6V+. Overclockers push them to 2V+ and barely ever are cases with dead sticks. Of course, this is for benching and not 24/7 work.
Depends on modules, this IC sometimes reacts more or less to the temperature but it still should be in about 50-55°C range at 1.5-1.55V, without additional airflow. Samsung B kits are in stores up to 1.55V (4800+ kits). G.Skill is selling 2x8GB kits up to 3800 CL14-16-16 1.50V. If they see no problem then I highly doubt there will be any problem. You can take 1.55V as max safe 24/7 voltage.

Thanks Woomack! 3200 to 3600 cl14 was a big bump in latency, like back to Intel levels in Aida. Reads and copies are high, writes are low in comparison, was playing around trying to figure out why.

If it feels hot to the touch you may want to direct more air over it or add a small fan, that's what I do when running higher than stock voltages on DIMMS or northbridge. BTW as for the CPU voltage, I have a Ryzen 3000 chip and it is perfectly normal to see anywhere from 1.25 - 1.4V when I run this chip on auto. Pretty sure they automatically adjust voltage on the fly to save power, even if you disable the "speed step" like settings. It'll show higher when idle and then drop down under loads.

You should have about as high writes at 3200 as at 3600 ... or maybe more like 50% of reads +1-2GB/s. It's because of a single internal link in Ryzen CPUs with a single CCD (so 6/8 cores). So when you get about 52GB/s read then you get 26-28GB/s writes. Writes are not important in most cases. The performance is more like a memory copy. When you run Windows internal memory benchmark (winsat -mem in command prompt) then it will give you a result close to AIDA64 memory copy. Also when you hover the mouse cursor over the memory copy explanation then it will tell you that the copy is the most important.
Anyway, on Ryzen the most important is memory frequency and the best if tied with memory controller clock (at lower clocks it's the same as infinity fabric clock, at higher can be different). Timings are a secondary thing. Even though are helping then not as much as each clock bump. The memory clock also lowers latency so it's more about balance when you reach some frequency. Tightening sub-timings like tRFC or tRC may help more than the main timings.

Awesome, well that would explain it then! More performance needs the big daddy CPU. My ram is fine I think, it feels cold on both of the spreaders.. I probably don't need fans at the top of my case. Cant wait to get the parts to mount my cooler!

Capture.PNG

Back