• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1000 After Effects and Gaming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Echvinya

Greetings,

I am seeking help because for the first time in 7 years I have been given the go ahead from my wife to build a whole new rig. Because of this great time span I have lost all idea of what I am doing and where to start.

I tried to read some of the threads on the subject but found myself just as lost as before, so I decided to re-register (can't remember my old account for anything and don't have that email address anymore) and ask you helpful people.

With a budget of $1000 what are my best options for a build that will allow me to play games on decently high settings (Upgrading from a gtx560ti)

And Handle After Effects heavy video editing and rendering (upgrading from an old i7 8 core* will get the exact info when I get home.)

I am looking on recommendations for everything but peripherals.

Thanks

Welcome (again!)!!!!

What resolution is your monitor/will you be playing games at?
What hardware can you salvage from this old build? The case and Windows... likely but that is about it I would imagine. That said for $1K and your uses, that is pretty tight honestly... I would prefer to build you a X99/5820K rig, but, that could be cost prohibitive due to the quad channel memory.... let me see...

- $380
MSI Z170 Gaming M3 - $150
GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4 3000 CL15 - $79
EVGA 600B - $50
Gigabyte GTX 970 - $320

= $979 not including shipping or any MIR.

Thank you for the welcome and for the effort that you have put into helping me. I will answer your questions as best I can from work and if you need better info I can get that for you when I get home tonight.

Welcome (again!)!!!!

What resolution is your monitor/will you be playing games at?

I run dual monitors Main monitor at 1920x1080 and secondary at 1600x1050(I am guessing on this one, it is a 22in HP monitor from 7 years ago)

What hardware can you salvage from this old build? The case and Windows... likely but that is about it I would imagine.

You are correct, though if at all possible I would love to be able to leave my old rig intact for my son to use.

That said for $1K and your uses, that is pretty tight honestly... I would prefer to build you a X99/5820K rig, but, that could be cost prohibitive due to the quad channel memory.... let me see...

- $380
MSI Z170 Gaming M3 - $150
GSkill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4 3000 CL15 - $79
EVGA 600B - $50
Gigabyte GTX 970 - $320

= $979 not including shipping or any MIR.

Shipping from Newegg doesn't seem to bad so that might get me close. I do have some leeway in the price just trying to stay as close as I can to that $1000 mark.

You will need a cooler and a case with my build. That will break your budget, but will allow you to hand the existing PC down.

Also a HDD or SSD to get it up and running.. if OP is going to keep the original as a hand me down

Oh shoot.. good call.. yikes.

THat $1K budget is tough without sacrificing some gaming performance and getting a lesser GPU.

Oh shoot.. good call.. yikes.

THat $1K budget is tough without sacrificing some gaming performance and getting a lesser GPU.

Well I mostly play MMO's and FIFA and have not had any real issues running the 560 except for Minecraft(hates my GPU for some reason).

I am more concerned about the capabilities of After Effects preview and Rendering, I just want to know that I have the ability to play any game out there, even it it means turning the AA off.

But how much more are we talking to get it all? Another $500?

1K is tough, 6600K will be the only path

Are you near a Micr Center ?

CPU is a bit cheaper and you get 20 off a board and 10 off an SSD bundled

x99 would be way better for your after effects requirements but as everyone has said $1000 is too tight a budget
either need to drop down the gpu to a 960 considering what you will be playing and put that money to the cpu and mobo

Well I mostly play MMO's and FIFA and have not had any real issues running the 560 except for Minecraft(hates my GPU for some reason).

I am more concerned about the capabilities of After Effects preview and Rendering, I just want to know that I have the ability to play any game out there, even it it means turning the AA off.

But how much more are we talking to get it all? Another $500?
Minecraft may hate your CPU, not GPU. ;)

For another $500, you could get a 5820K and X99, with the same other hardware...

I wouldn't... not for how he is primarily using the PC... Id rather drop from a 970 to a 960 (which is still a lot better than his 560ti), and get a 6700K.....

Thanks for all the advice, I think that I am going to be able to go with the x99/5820k.

arn't those MSDN/MSDNAA keys? (which ms will deactivate once they find out people were selling them)

getting the OS is not a problem. Go with a Win 7 OEM Key ;) maybe 10 bucks or so.

No need to buy a win 10 key....you can easily do a clean isntall with a win 7 key :)

I have never heard of of anyone having an issue with this site but you can pay the 1.50 and get the insurance.

Back