• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090t 4Ghz overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bishop9779

Registered
hi - I am trying to oc my system to 4ghz andcould use some help please! Here is my system:

CPU: AMD phenom ii x6 1090T @ 4ghz
Motherboard: Asrock Extreme3 870 ATX
Video: SuperClocked 02G-P4-2672-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB
Memory: 12gb ddr3_1000 @ 500mhz
240gb corsair ssd
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve
Using the OC tweak tool I had:
4 Chassis fans in case.

cpu freq = 250mhz
cpu freq multiplier x16 4000mhz
cpuvoltage 1.4250 (upped from 1.4v which was default for 4ghz profile)
nb freq mult x8.0 2000mhz
nb voltage 1.3125v (upped this from 1.3 which was default for 4ghz profile)
ht voltage 1.2v

memory clock auto, dram voltage = 1.547 (did not alter these)

cpu under 100% load from prime 95 - 6 worker test

Heated up to 63c for the cpu and 59c for the core. Once the core hit 60c I bsod'd. This took about 4 minutes. Took 3 minutes for first test to fail.

I would love some help getting the right voltages because even when I had my gtx 470 in there, when I OC past 3.5ghz I will get artifacts in MW3 or any other game. Not sure how to OC to stay stable but also keep the GPU happy.

Thanks!!

First of all, you have a black edition CPU. Why are you overclocking using the CPU frequency instead of the multiplier? You are making it more complicated than you need to.

Are you using some kind of bios automatic overclocking genie or Windows overclocking software? Sounds like it because you speak of the "4 ghz profile". You need to disable all that stuff and just use the bios for changing settings manually.

First of all, you have a black edition CPU. Why are you overclocking using the CPU frequency instead of the multiplier? You are making it more complicated than you need to.

Are you using some kind of bios automatic overclocking genie or Windows overclocking software? Sounds like it because you speak of the "4 ghz profile". You need to disable all that stuff and just use the bios for changing settings manually.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I am using the bios to overclock. In the bios there is an OC tweaker section. You can select to "load optimized CPU setting" - i.e.

When I set it to 10% - it sets my cpu to 3.52ghz, the cpu frequency multiplier ix x16.0 3520mhz, and changes voltages - cpu voltage 1.325v, nb voltage remains at 1.15v. Prime 95 @ 3.5ghz is stable - tested for 30 minutes and CPU under 100% load averaged 40C - maxed at 44C.

When I put it back to default the cpu frequency multiplier reads x16.0 3200mhz.

So should I be changing something else? I see a frequency multiplier but not something that just says "multiplier".

There is also a NB frequency multiplier.

EDIT: I was also reading I should turn off the turbo core if oc'ing. Is that valid?

Hi, thanks for the reply!

I am using the bios to overclock. In the bios there is an OC tweaker section. You can select to "load optimized CPU setting" - i.e.

When I set it to 10% - it sets my cpu to 3.52ghz, the cpu frequency multiplier ix x16.0 3520mhz, and changes voltages - cpu voltage 1.325v, nb voltage remains at 1.15v. Prime 95 @ 3.5ghz is stable - tested for 30 minutes and CPU under 100% load averaged 40C - maxed at 44C.

When I put it back to default the cpu frequency multiplier reads x16.0 3200mhz.

So should I be changing something else? I see a frequency multiplier but not something that just says "multiplier".

There is also a NB frequency multiplier.

As I suspected, you have not been overclocking manually in the bios but using bios genies. Please read my first post again. You need to disable the "Optimized CPU setting" and choose the Manual overclock mode so that all the individual overclock settings are visible and active (i.e. can be changed).

Overclock genies are good for modest overclocks but they just don't manipulate enough settings in order to get a maximum stable overclock.

Set the overclock mode to CPU,PCIE,Async.

Attachments

• OCTweaker2.JPG
    OCTweaker2.JPG
    107.6 KB · Views: 374
As I suspected, you have not been overclocking manually in the bios but using bios genies. Please read my first post again. You need to disable the "Optimized CPU setting" and choose the Manual overclock mode so that all the individual overclock settings are visible and active (i.e. can be changed).

Overclock genies are good for modest overclocks but they just don't manipulate enough settings in order to get a maximum stable overclock.

I don't see any other overclocking options in the bios other than in the OC tweaker section. I re-read your post a few times, I know you are saying to change the multiplier manually, when I change the frequency multiplier I still BSOD under prime95. I tried 3.8ghz just from changing freq multiplier.

EZ Overclocking section has the "load optimized cpu oc setting." I disabled that (set it back to default).

Below that I have cpu configuration:

overclockmode - auto (cpu freq 200mhz, pcie freq 100mhz)

spread spectrum auto
boot failure guard enabled
boot failure guard ct 3
asrock ucc disabled
capu active core control disabled
amd turbo core tech enabled (was auto)
amd io c-state support enabled
multiplier/voltage change: auto
ht bus sped auto
ht bus width auto
ht voltage = 1.2 (auto)
mgpu voltage (1.146v) auto
sb voltage 1.1 auto
cpu vdda voltage 2.56v auto
pcie vdda voltage 1.81v auto
cpu load line calibration auto

So I tried doing: AMD turbo core tech disabled, along with setting multiplier/voltage change to "manual" and changing the "cpu frequency multiplier" to x19.0 3800mhz"

I bsod'd within 5 min of testing in prime 95 w/ cpu voltage @ 50c. Thoughts?

Yes, this is the multiplier. That and the CPU voltage are the two main bios items you will manipulate in your overclocking.

Attachments

• Tweaker3.JPG
    Tweaker3.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 374
From my experience and research the 1090T need to be keept below 60c to remain stable. Also its my experience with mine that they can be difficult to cool as you work them harder. I don't believe that your going to reach 4.0 with air cooling, if your looking for that speed you may want to start reading the sticky's for water cooling and take your time with designing a WC loop.

Now to give you and idea how to get the speed up and what its going to take. Currently I'm OC'ed to 3.4 with my air cooler, to reach that my multiplier is at 17x and clock is at stock 200 (try to change this as little as possible to not interfere with the cpu-nb speeds) and my voltage is a 1.3v.

I had reached almost stable 3.8 with a multiplier of 19x and clock set at 201 and voltage at 1.38, it worked until 55c and I hit the bsod's.

Keep at it and slowly work it up until its stays stable and cool.

Yes, this is the multiplier. That and the CPU voltage are the two main bios items you will manipulate in your overclocking.

ok what shall i try next? My idle temps are in the low 80s (F) so I think my heatsink is good.

Please use Celcius when referring to temps. In the overclocking process you want to keep the core temps from exceeding 55c and the CPU (socket) temps from exceeding 65c. Let's start from scratch if you don't mind with all frequencies and voltages set to stock values. We will see how far you can get on stock CPU voltage. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps and voltages. Do you have that program installed yet? Please do if you don't.

The strategy will be to start increasing the CPU multiplier in increments of .5x.

After after each .5x, run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. If you pass, (no blue screen, no lock up, Prime doesn't stop or no Prime worker cores drop out) then increase the CPU multiplier another .5x. Repeat this process until you fail the test.

But first, as i said, set the CPU frequency and voltages to stock and then post pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". I want to check stuff before you start the overclock.

Cpu-z is a free program that gives loads of info about hardware and bios settings.

To post a pic, first crop and save the image to disk with Snipping Tool from Windows Accessories. Then click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window. That will bring up the Advanced post window. Then click on the little paperclip icon at the top which will bring up the file browser and uploader window. The rest is obvious.

It's common for idle core temps to be under 30c when room temps are 20-21c.

Here are the pics! Out of curiousity, so I can learn, what are you checking?

Please use Celcius when referring to temps. In the overclocking process you want to keep the core temps from exceeding 55c and the CPU (socket) temps from exceeding 65c. Let's start from scratch if you don't mind with all frequencies and voltages set to stock values. We will see how far you can get on stock CPU voltage. Always have HWMonitor open on the desktop to monitor temps and voltages. Do you have that program installed yet? Please do if you don't.

The strategy will be to start increasing the CPU multiplier in increments of .5x.

After after each .5x, run a Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. If you pass, (no blue screen, no lock up, Prime doesn't stop or no Prime worker cores drop out) then increase the CPU multiplier another .5x. Repeat this process until you fail the test.

But first, as i said, set the CPU frequency and voltages to stock and then post pics of CPU-z tabs: "CPU", "Memory" and "SPD". I want to check stuff before you start the overclock.

Cpu-z is a free program that gives loads of info about hardware and bios settings.

To post a pic, first crop and save the image to disk with Snipping Tool from Windows Accessories. Then click on the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of any new post window. That will bring up the Advanced post window. Then click on the little paperclip icon at the top which will bring up the file browser and uploader window. The rest is obvious.

Attachments

• cpuz-cpu.PNG
    cpuz-cpu.PNG
    47.5 KB · Views: 353
  • cpuz-mem.PNG
    cpuz-mem.PNG
    42.8 KB · Views: 351
  • cpuz-spd.PNG
    cpuz-spd.PNG
    38.6 KB · Views: 346
Okay, it looks like you still have the "green" down-throttling stuff enabled in bios. Notice in CPU-z CPU tab that your CPU core voltage is only 1.232, your Core Speed is only 801.55 and your multiplier is only 4x.

Go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo and C1E. You will have to look under every stone in bios to find some of them an I can't tell you where they are because I can't see what you see. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. These measures should turn off all the green stuff.

Then repost those three CPU-z pics. As it is not I can't tell what your true bios settings are because the green stuff is masking them.

Okay, it looks like you still have the "green" down-throttling stuff enabled in bios. Notice in CPU-z CPU tab that your CPU core voltage is only 1.232, your Core Speed is only 801.55 and your multiplier is only 4x.

Go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo and C1E. You will have to look under every stone in bios to find some of them an I can't tell you where they are because I can't see what you see. Then go into Windows Control Panel Power Options and configure it to High Performance. These measures should turn off all the green stuff.

Then repost those three CPU-z pics. As it is not I can't tell what your true bios settings are because the green stuff is masking them.
alt state) w
Disabled Cool 'n' Quiet and AMD Turbo Core Technology. C1E (enhanced halt state) was already disabled. CPU Thermal Throttle was disabled fyi.

Pics attached

Attachments

• cpux2-mem.PNG
    cpux2-mem.PNG
    48.6 KB · Views: 352
  • cpuz2-cpu.PNG
    cpuz2-cpu.PNG
    49.9 KB · Views: 359
  • cpuz2-spd.PNG
    cpuz2-spd.PNG
    41.1 KB · Views: 349
Here are the pics! Out of curiousity, so I can learn, what are you checking?

Sorry, didn't see this question when you first posted it.

Checking lots of things:

Current: CPU core voltage, core multiplier, core frequency, HT Link, NB frequency, memory frequency, memory timing. Also checking the memory manufacturer's recommendations for timings and voltages at given frequencies. The CPU-z "Memory" tab reports what your current memory frequency and timings are. The "SPD" tab reports what the manufacturer recommends. In general, I was just checking to see if any of your bios settings were out of whack before we start overclocking.

By the way, I would not recommend using Speedfan for temp monitoring. Use HWMonitor instead. Speedfan is not maintained very well by the author in terms of being up to date with regard to hardware developments and can be buggy. HWMonitor is much more useful. Please download and install it. Open it up on your desktop and leave it open during testing. Then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Post back with a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can check CPU and core temps.

By the way, I would not recommend using Speedfan for temp monitoring. Use HWMonitor instead. Speedfan is not maintained very well by the author in terms of being up to date with regard to hardware developments and can be buggy. HWMonitor is much more useful. Please download and install it. Open it up on your desktop and leave it open during testing. Then run the Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Post back with a pic of the HWMonitor interface so we can check CPU and core temps.

Ran HWMonitor with default settings and w/ the settings off that you had recommended to disable in the bios.

Pic attached:

Attachments

• ibjV98lB7vZ1a4.PNG
    ibjV98lB7vZ1a4.PNG
    23.3 KB · Views: 348
Back