• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T Dropped Multiplier

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
We always like to know the outcome for use in helping others...but you will be the one that gets a big boost if that cpu quits throttling. Luck man.

I just got my really old 80mm fan blowing air straight into the VRM heat sink and I ran Prime95 for about 40 min. and so far the multiplier hasn't drop at all, here is a pic I took of my rig's temp with these settings. I'm gonna try to run Prime95 with this new fan on for the whole night and see how it work. I'll be posting results as soon as I can. Thanks very much RGone, this solution has work so far.

Attachments

• Temp @ 4.00 GHz.png
    Temp @ 4.00 GHz.png
    86.9 KB · Views: 176
phitat said:
I already did that too however the multiplier still dropped after 30 min. of Prime95

Good luck since it seems you are seeing some progress at least in practice, even if the HwMonitor is still showing somewhat elevated temps. Cooling something that does not need cooling will not change the symptoms. Your symptoms seem getting better so it has something to do with temps to some extent.

The problem is finally solved!!! All I had to to was add an extra fan to blow air onto the VRM of my board and I just finished my Prime95 for 6 hours with no Multiplier drop at all, however I have to keep the HT Link and the NB Frequency at 2000 MHz for it to run stable, I'm gonna get a newer 80mm fan and then see if I can get my NB Frequency up to at least 2600 MHz. Thanks very much for all the help guys!

You'll need to bump your CPUNB voltage up to 1.225-1.3 range in order to support those higher NB frequencies.

The problem is finally solved!!! All I had to to was add an extra fan to blow air onto the VRM of my board and I just finished my Prime95 for 6 hours with no Multiplier drop at all, Thanks very much for all the help guys!

Good deal man. After I read that about the heat of VRMs etc with Asus and how well the symptoms seemed to fit...well glad it seems to be working your way now.

Does this actually happen often with only ASUS motherboard? What about MSI or GIGABYTES?

Asus > AMD dropping multiplier while playing games

Asus > Multiplier and Vcore jumping in full load when stress tested! help

Asus > The multiplier on my 1090t keeps dropping to x8. Why?

Of the first 5 hits when g00gling multiplier dropping under stress...three are Asus and 2 are Gigabyte.

However that is probably reflective of the motherboard sales per manufacturer.

I think ASUS need to improve the VRM cooling for their mid end motherboards since not everyone can afford the Crosshair Formula series >.<

I got here late, but just for reference and maybe a little explaination here is what I did with my new setup (AsRock 970 Extreme) that was giving me fits until I did two things....

First, the PWM area was rippin' hot, added 5 small sinks and a small 40mm fan, and the NB was also getting real hot even though it has a nice looking heatsink mounted, all I did was mount another 40mm fan right over that area, problems solved...

Both areas were generating heat around the Ziff at stock volts, but even more with clocking, both spots were getting so hot before the mods I could have easily burned a fingertip, the migrating heat was causing the CPU temp sensor under the Ziff to go bonkers, causing shutdowns, weird throttle backdowns, and instability with clockage....had to do the same mods to the previous AsRock board (AOD790GX)....

ASUS is like the big brother to AsRock....just sayin'....board is now totally stable, temps totally under control...,,,

Good Luck....

Laterzzzzzz.............

Last edited:
Reviving the thread from the dead.

Is it good to run my CPU: 4.0 GHz and DRAM Timing: 8-8-8-20 and HT: 2000 and NB: 2000?

I changed it from CPU: 3.8 GHz, DRAM Timing: 7-8-8-18, HT:2000, and NB: 2600

Which setup will give me better overall performance on gaming? These two setups are the only stable one I can do. Other than that, my multiplier will drop to 8x for a split second once in a while.

Ummm, HWMonitor shows AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, your sig:

CPU AMD Phenom 1090T @ 4.0 GHz w/Thermalright Silver Arrow
MB ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3
RAM 8GB 1333 MHz Patriot Memory @ 8-8-8-20
HDD SATA 3GB/s 500GB 7200rpm
GPU XFX Radeon HD 6870 Black Edition
PSU Mushkin Enhanced 650w
OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

shows AMD Phenom 1090T, now witch is it? Phenom II X6 1090T or Phenom 1090T? :) :chair:

I just got my really old 80mm fan blowing air straight into the VRM heat sink and I ran Prime95 for about 40 min. and so far the multiplier hasn't drop at all, here is a pic I took of my rig's temp with these settings. I'm gonna try to run Prime95 with this new fan on for the whole night and see how it work. I'll be posting results as soon as I can. Thanks very much RGone, this solution has work so far.

Oh it's the Phenom II X6 1090T. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I changed case so now I have no space to mount the small fan blowing air straight into the VRM heat sink. I'm considering buying the H100i so I can have more space for adequate airflow but I've been hearing about the firmware issue with it and all.

When I'm overclocking to anything beyond 3.8 GHz, there seem to be a big jump in CPU temp once in a while, about 5 C up, and whenever this jump occur, a few seconds later, my multiplier drop down to 8x, and when this temp goes down again, the multiplier will be back up to 20x.

Back