• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1090T overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scrambler

Okay, so I finally got this little chip installed on my system, have not reinstalled windows yet. I plan to do that next week. However, I have started overclocking this CPU.

Everything so far is default, except the Hyper transport. I tuned it down from 2600 to 2000 because.... I'm not sure why actually. My old 980 ran it at 2000 and that makes me feel more comfortable, I guess? I also disabled Core boost? Which I assume to be some type of boost but only to one core, or a few cores? I disabled it anyways.

I have hit 4.0Ghz but.... the volts are... extreme. As you'll see in the picture I attached.

In general, I needed to feed it massive amounts of volts to get it to pass prime. Even at 3.4 I think I needed 1.42 volts. With my Mobo I have no LLC control, so underload it jumps from the 1.47 I set in Bios to 1.55 Volts.

Just want to know if I am on the right track here. Form the temps I think I have hit the roof, tomorrow I'll keep going and see where I end up, but I think 4.0 is tops for me, which is fine by me.

As a side note, these clocks are meant to be 24/7, so if those volts are indeed super high and I am running risk of frying the chip in weeks or days, please let me know.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 68
I bumped the Vcore up another notch to make 4.2 stable and the voltage is now... 1.62. welp.

Gigabyte 990XA-UD3, no LLC control? that sux. Is there a BIOS update or anything? they might have added it later, LLC is pretty important to overclocking, that was an oversight surly?

Have you tried increasing the CPUNB voltage a tad. In my experience, even even when the CPUNB frequency is at stock this can help with stability and may allow you to get by without quite so much core voltage which would also spare some stress on motherboard components. Too bad you don't have a manual LLC control to tweak it but in the end if it takes that much voltage to make it stable under load then you would have to manually set to that amount anyway and you would get no respite at idle if there were no LLC.

Gigabyte 990XA-UD3, no LLC control? that sux. Is there a BIOS update or anything? they might have added it later, LLC is pretty important to overclocking, that was an oversight surly?

That is pretty crazy considering that my 970A-UD3 has LLC.

I vote for bios update.

The 4.2 volts does seem high, but your 4.0 seems fine - 1.47 is what mine hits with LLC bump under load.

That is pretty crazy considering that my 970A-UD3 has LLC.

I vote for bios update.

The 4.2 volts does seem high, but your 4.0 seems fine - 1.47 is what mine hits with LLC bump under load.

I am on the latest BIOS version is F10 I believe, 3 versions behind. None of the other BIOS updates mention a LLC control option, just CPU AGESA updates?

Mine hits 1.54 underload though.

Have you tried increasing the CPUNB voltage a tad. In my experience, even even when the CPUNB frequency is at stock this can help with stability and may allow you to get by without quite so much core voltage which would also spare some stress on motherboard components. Too bad you don't have a manual LLC control to tweak it but in the end if it takes that much voltage to make it stable under load then you would have to manually set to that amount anyway and you would get no respite at idle if there were no LLC.

I have the NB at 1.15 Volts and it clocked to 2600. Anything higher and it seems unstable.

There are several revisions of these boards, all Gigabyte 9x0 chipset boards REV 1.0 don't have LLC, even the top UD7.

1.1 after they do, but it doesn't work as well as it should under some loads.

I am on the latest BIOS version is F10 I believe, 3 versions behind. None of the other BIOS updates mention a LLC control option, just CPU AGESA updates?

Mine hits 1.54 underload though.

I have the NB at 1.15 Volts and it clocked to 2600. Anything higher and it seems unstable.

I would increase that CPUNB to about 1.225v.

The bios "sees red" with a lot of changes we overclockers make that are perfectly safe. It's just kind of a disclaimer.

The bios "sees red" with a lot of changes we overclockers make that are perfectly safe. It's just kind of a disclaimer.

I figured. Just kind of.... ominous when compared to the rest that are a nicer colour :p

I figured. Just kind of.... ominous when compared to the rest that are a nicer colour :p

Mine goes yellow for "do i have to?" and then immediately to bright purple for "arrrrr murder murder murder....#~%$£&*^....Help MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" :eek:

Motherboards are drama queens :D

Mine goes yellow for "do i have to?" and then immediately to bright purple for "arrrrr murder murder murder....#~%$£&*^....Help MEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!" :eek:

Motherboards are drama queens :D
\

Dram queens. Good one, Frakk!

Back