• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1100T Troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

themateika

I'm having trouble keeping a 3.9GHz overclock stable. It is mostly stable, but some games and movies will crash it after a period of time. Prime95 and OCCT only last a few seconds before erroring a CPU core.

Some notes:
-C1E is disabled, CoolnQuiet is disabled, CPU Spread Spectrum is Disabled, Turbocore is disabled.
-Why is my RAM showing 800MHz in the BIOS and 400MHz in CPU-Z?

Here are my pictures of settings ,specs, temps, etc:

cpu.jpg

main.jpg

mem.jpg

temp.jpg

I hope somebody can help. Thanks in advance!

1st off all your Ram is showing 400Mhz in CPU-z because: DDR= Double Data Rate so you double that speed so 400Mhz=800Mhz. That is one.

2nd thing I noticed is your graphics card seems to be in the wrong slot since it it only running on 8x speed.(could be a display bug though but check it still)

3rd thing I noticed is that we need a prime95 screenshot with load temps. Idle temps seem to be perfectly fine to me.

1st off all your Ram is showing 400Mhz in CPU-z because: DDR= Double Data Rate so you double that speed so 400Mhz=800Mhz. That is one.

2nd thing I noticed is your graphics card seems to be in the wrong slot since it it only running on 8x speed.(could be a display bug though but check it still)

3rd thing I noticed is that we need a prime95 screenshot with load temps. Idle temps seem to be perfectly fine to me.

Thanks for the info (reference to your first point).

It is strange that it would be running in x8, since my card is in the x16 slot on my board. How else should I check for the actual link width?

I cannot load a p95 screenshot, since I freeze up to quickly. There isn't anything to show other than that I either get a BSOD and get WHEA_Uncontrollable_ERROR or one of my threads error on p95 and I don't get a BSOD.

In terms of my temps during stress testing (again, can't capture a screenshot in time):
My max CPU load temps are 45C
My TMPNI0 and TMPIN1 hit a max of 39C and 41C respectively

At what Mhz do you have the combo prime stable?

I'm going to start over again. I'm hoping to get some tips here. Then I can post when I am stable.

The funny thing is that if I let the computer overclock itself, then it can easily max at 3.7GHz stable, which suggests to me that I am not setting up something right that the computer is. I wish I could log the activity of auto-overclocking to understand how it sets its own voltages and frequencies.

Your ram timings are quite low, which is fantastic assuming that they are actually stable at that speed. I would set those to whatever your kit's default is, then start overclocking.

themateika, each companies auto overclocker or OC genie or whatever it is called by the board manufacturer in bios, do things differently. Plus it depends on the chipset of the motherboard. Later overclock genies can change more items or do change more settings than the older ones.

OC genies usually drop the memory speed and often loosen the timings a little. The OC genie can also raise the voltage to the ram. OC genies also generally raise voltage to the cpu by quiet a lot as most users see it. If the AMD cpu were reporting 1.375V as its default voltage to the motherboard, then the motherboard might easily set the cpu voltge to 1.45Volts. Many not so knowledgable think that is too high but it is not any where near a danger zone voltage. On later model motherboards made in the last 18months or so, OC genies also seem to raise the CPU_NB voltage when on AutoOverclock. I have seen a couple of users captures or pictures in bios show the OC genie having raised CPU_NB voltage to 1.35V. Again higher than I use to run an FX-8350 at 5.4Ghz for funzies. But still not higher than AMD says the CPU_NB can be set to rather safely.

So using AutoOverclockers can be an exercise in frustration, since some of the settings make sense that we can check visually and others are simply a big overvolt to make some sort of OC Genie work for as many of the people as it can and work across the many variations of systems as users can make up their system from, while using that one type motherboard.

There is another thing to consider and that is that the Thuban processors appeared when the 9xx chipsets were already out. The 9xx chipset boards were around a year before the FX processors came to the public for sale. A ton of users that were waiting on the FX and had already bought the 9xx motherboards were running their Thubans on 2 chipsets later than your 7xx chipset mothreboard. They were also using the Thubans on DDR3 motherboards which are faster than DDR2 motherboards almost by default. So there are in truth any number of variables to actually consider as to how well a cpu will respond on a certain motherboard. AMD has tried to keep customers by allowing previous chipset boards to at least use the later cpu. That does not however mean that the CPU can be used to its' absoute fullest. AMD changed the specs for the traces for power delivery to the cpu to allow more power to be pulled throught those traces. That one change that is not on an older motherboard can make or break the ability to actually overclock a later cpu on older motherboard even if the cpu fits the socket and boots.

I have no idea why I tried to explain all of that. I guess because actually setting at the keyboard and making trial and error adjustments to the various values is the better way to try and get a later cpu to work on an older motherboard. By actually setting and knowing what was set, the users can generally get the most that they will ever get from a particular combination. Now in opposition to that, I have seen a few less knowledgable running an AMD processor on a motherboard using the old Nvidia chipset that the OC Genie was the only way to get any sort of decent overclock because the bios was without many of the manual settings needed for overclocking. So it all comes down to learning the terms that the bios uses and then thru trial and error making each setup/configuration do its' own very best. Luck man.
RGone...

Right, you will want to avoid using the software overclocking method and as suggested by rgone, go ahead to the bios and retool your overclock from there.

The thuban is a great chip. It has great capabilities in many aspects of overclocking. This includes a few key components - you have your CPU clock speed your memory speed and cpu-nb frequency. You should be able to get 3.9-4.0 stable with a decent air cooler. You want to target your CPU-NB to 2800-3000 IF STABLE. Its important to keep your temps in check through this process.

Since you have a black edition processor its recommended to keep your FSB at 200mhz and use your multiplier to OC. If your target is 4.0ghz stable you need to apply more core voltage - usually in the 1.4 - 1.53 range.
The CPU NB should be around 1.2 ish and maybe even require a bit more if you get into the 3000mhz range. 1.3v on air is safe. Keep your HT link as close to 2000 or 2200 as possible. Also read through the Thuban Overclocking guide in the sticky at the top of this forum if you have time.

I'm just providing a brief outline here as a framework. Its important to take your time and learn these settings individually before you start making changes. Also post up the SPD tab of CPUz so we can help get that up to proper speed.

Last edited:
themateika, each companies auto overclocker or OC genie or whatever it is called by the board manufacturer in bios, do things differently. Plus it depends on the chipset of the motherboard. Later overclock genies can change more items or do change more settings than the older ones.

OC genies usually drop the memory speed and often loosen the timings a little. The OC genie can also raise the voltage to the ram. OC genies also generally raise voltage to the cpu by quiet a lot as most users see it. If the AMD cpu were reporting 1.375V as its default voltage to the motherboard, then the motherboard might easily set the cpu voltge to 1.45Volts. Many not so knowledgable think that is too high but it is not any where near a danger zone voltage. On later model motherboards made in the last 18months or so, OC genies also seem to raise the CPU_NB voltage when on AutoOverclock. I have seen a couple of users captures or pictures in bios show the OC genie having raised CPU_NB voltage to 1.35V. Again higher than I use to run an FX-8350 at 5.4Ghz for funzies. But still not higher than AMD says the CPU_NB can be set to rather safely.

So using AutoOverclockers can be an exercise in frustration, since some of the settings make sense that we can check visually and others are simply a big overvolt to make some sort of OC Genie work for as many of the people as it can and work across the many variations of systems as users can make up their system from, while using that one type motherboard.

There is another thing to consider and that is that the Thuban processors appeared when the 9xx chipsets were already out. The 9xx chipset boards were around a year before the FX processors came to the public for sale. A ton of users that were waiting on the FX and had already bought the 9xx motherboards were running their Thubans on 2 chipsets later than your 7xx chipset mothreboard. They were also using the Thubans on DDR3 motherboards which are faster than DDR2 motherboards almost by default. So there are in truth any number of variables to actually consider as to how well a cpu will respond on a certain motherboard. AMD has tried to keep customers by allowing previous chipset boards to at least use the later cpu. That does not however mean that the CPU can be used to its' absoute fullest. AMD changed the specs for the traces for power delivery to the cpu to allow more power to be pulled throught those traces. That one change that is not on an older motherboard can make or break the ability to actually overclock a later cpu on older motherboard even if the cpu fits the socket and boots.

I have no idea why I tried to explain all of that. I guess because actually setting at the keyboard and making trial and error adjustments to the various values is the better way to try and get a later cpu to work on an older motherboard. By actually setting and knowing what was set, the users can generally get the most that they will ever get from a particular combination. Now in opposition to that, I have seen a few less knowledgable running an AMD processor on a motherboard using the old Nvidia chipset that the OC Genie was the only way to get any sort of decent overclock because the bios was without many of the manual settings needed for overclocking. So it all comes down to learning the terms that the bios uses and then thru trial and error making each setup/configuration do its' own very best. Luck man.
RGone...

Thanks for taking the time to write all that info and also some reminders. It's helpful.

Right, you will want to avoid using the software overclocking method and as suggested by rgone, go ahead to the bios and retool your overclock from there.

The thuban is a great chip. It has great capabilities in many aspects of overclocking. This includes a few key components - you have your CPU clock speed your memory speed and cpu-nb frequency. You should be able to get 3.9-4.0 stable with a decent air cooler. You want to target your CPU-NB to 2800-3000 IF STABLE. Its important to keep your temps in check through this process.

Since you have a black edition processor its recommended to keep your FSB at 200mhz and use your multiplier to OC. If your target is 4.0ghz stable you need to apply more core voltage - usually in the 1.4 - 1.53 range.
The CPU NB should be around 1.2 ish and maybe even require a bit more if you get into the 3000mhz range. 1.3v on air is safe. Keep your HT link as close to 2000 or 2200 as possible. Also read through the Thuban Overclocking guide in the sticky at the top of this forum if you have time.

I'm just providing a brief outline here as a framework. Its important to take your time and learn these settings individually before you start making changes. Also post up the SPD tab of CPUz so we can help get that up to proper speed.

Thanks for some of the outlining. It's nice to get some ideas from a lot of people about target parameters to reach. Thuban seems to like to have all components attached to the cpu to be in good harmony; although that harmony seems to change from rig to rig.

My SPD tab:

slot3.jpg

slot4.jpg

Thanks for some of the outlining. It's nice to get some ideas from a lot of people about target parameters to reach. Thuban seems to like to have all components attached to the cpu to be in good harmony; although that harmony seems to change from rig to rig.

My SPD tab:

slot3.jpg

slot4.jpg
The ram is DDR3 1600. When you go into your dram configuration in the bios, be sure to see if you can set it to 1600 speed. That should net you much better performance overall. If you look at the column under the XMP 1600 category, those are the prescribed timings and you may need to manually input them in the BIOS dram config. Also set your voltage to 1.5v. Let us know if you have any questions whatsoever with this.

Back