• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1207+ (The "plus" is for: "Gotcha again.")

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/11/03/amd_65nm_roadmap_update/

I knew something like this would happen. I knew it because this is EXACTLY what happened back with my old KT7 board. They released the KT7"A" chipset about a month after I got my motherboard, and everybody that had the "A" designation could upgrade to the XP series of processors, and I couldn't.

So I've been saying for a while now that AMD has no intention of sticking by AM2 for the next processor generation, and that people wishing to upgrade should either wait 'til said processor is actually released, or go with an intel. It simply didn't make any sense that AMD would stick with a 90nm socket when we all knew full well they were going towards a 65nm chip.

Here is the first indication that my hunch was right.

It sounds like AMD is running into the same issues as intel with it's S775. Current boards may not give the power requirements needed for some CPUs. It sucks but it also falls into progress. I still see a year long path for my current AM2 but after Nov 07 this hardware will become "classic"! I just hope I have a board that will load a single die Quad :drool:

AM2 cpu's will work in sAM2+, sAM2+ cpu's will work in sAM2(you just won't benefit from DC2.0 and HTT3.0 unless it's an AM2+ cpu in sAM2+)

1207 cpu's will work in s1207+, s1207+ cpu's will work in s1207(you just won't benefit from DC2.0 and HTT3.0 unless it's a 1207+ cpu in s1207+)

only difference is 4x4, which is s1207 and will also be s1207 plus, but s1207 and s1207+ Opterons will not work in 4x4, due to 4x4 not using registered ram

Molester said:
AM2 cpu's will work in sAM2+, sAM2+ cpu's will work in sAM2(you just won't benefit from DC2.0 and HTT3.0 unless it's an AM2+ cpu in sAM2+)

1207 cpu's will work in s1207+, s1207+ cpu's will work in s1207(you just won't benefit from DC2.0 and HTT3.0 unless it's a 1207+ cpu in s1207+)

only difference is 4x4, which is s1207 and will also be s1207 plus, but s1207 and s1207+ Opterons will not work in 4x4, due to 4x4 not using registered ram

Well that's exactly the problem I was pointing out. For people that already have AM2 MOTHERBOARDS... they won't be able to use newer chips on those motherboards. The chip I had on my KT7 would run just fine on a KT7A... which didn't do me a damned bit of good because I still only had a KT7.

well, we still have to wait to see what the benefits of DC2.0 and HTT3.0 will be, in my opinion, most gains will come for the 4x4 platform and subsequent server platform

Back