• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12700k upgrade, worth it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
WD SN850 goes near 70C under load but at least the one I had wasn't throttling. It had some other issues and I had it replaced by support. Very weird issue - SSD was 100% fine but the software was reporting a critical failure and the exceeded amount of writes.

It might be worth DLing the drivers from the website and having those on a USB stick. What's on the included drive will undoubtedly get you going, but, the latest and greatest are found on the website. I usually install windows, then go to mobo website and DL what I need. What windows puts on is plenty good enough to do that. :)

WD SN850 goes near 70C under load but at least the one I had wasn't throttling. It had some other issues and I had it replaced by support. Very weird issue - SSD was 100% fine but the software was reporting a critical failure and the exceeded amount of writes.
I wonder if I got a later revision
Post magically merged:

It might be worth DLing the drivers from the website and having those on a USB stick. What's on the included drive will undoubtedly get you going, but, the latest and greatest are found on the website. I usually install windows, then go to mobo website and DL what I need. What windows puts on is plenty good enough to do that. :)
That's the ideal way of doing things for people that can remember to do it before taking the pc apart :cool:

If you install Win11 or a late version of Win10 then Intel chipset and LAN drivers or popular Realtek LAN drivers are in the OS. All you need later is to run a windows update or go to the manufacturer's website. You can also notice that most brands are now including auto driver update ... something that pop-ups in the right bottom corner of the screen and asks you to install drivers automatically. For sure ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte have that ... I don't remember if MSI too.

If you install Win11 or a late version of Win10 then Intel chipset and LAN drivers or popular Realtek LAN drivers are in the OS. All you need later is to run a windows update or go to the manufacturer's website. You can also notice that most brands are now including auto driver update ... something that pop-ups in the right bottom corner of the screen and asks you to install drivers automatically. For sure ASUS, ASRock and Gigabyte have that ... I don't remember if MSI too.
The problem I ran into when installing win 11 is that it didn't have a driver yet for the fancy 2.5ghz lan. I couldn't get past the connect to internet phase because there was nothing to click on whatsoever. I ended up starting over with windows 10 and hooking up my nighthawk usb wifi antenna and luckily it had a win 10 driver that allowed me to install updates over wifi until I could get to the free win 11 update offer. Once I had win11 and all drivers installed over wifi everything was fine with the 2.5 lan. Hopefully a newer win11 download will include drivers for newer motherboard gizmos.

The problem I ran into when installing win 11 is that it didn't have a driver yet for the fancy 2.5ghz lan. I couldn't get past the connect to internet phase because there was nothing to click on whatsoever. I ended up starting over with windows 10 and hooking up my nighthawk usb wifi antenna and luckily it had a win 10 driver that allowed me to install updates over wifi until I could get to the free win 11 update offer. Once I had win11 and all drivers installed over wifi everything was fine with the 2.5 lan. Hopefully a newer win11 download will include drivers for newer motherboard gizmos.

When did you try? Looks like the Tomahawk has an Intel I225-V, same chipset my board has, and W11 drivers came right up for me - this was early January with the flash drive installer downloaded from MS.

When did you try? Looks like the Tomahawk has an Intel I225-V, same chipset my board has, and W11 drivers came right up for me - this was early January with the flash drive installer downloaded from MS.
This was early january with a fresh win 11 usb same as you. All I can tell you is when I got to the connect to internet part there was absolutely nothing I could do.

This was early january with a fresh win 11 usb same as you. All I can tell you is when I got to the connect to internet part there was absolutely nothing I could do.

Huh that's strange. Thinking back the only thing Windows update had to pull down was the newest Nvidia driver. Maybe Woomack's on to something, MSI boards just aren't quite as PnP.

TickleMYElmo, you said:
"Thanks guys. The 7700k can hit 100% in most games, especially since I like to crank the graphics. But on average it's around 75%. I play @ 1440p 165Hz. Been waiting to get a 3080 FOREVER but we all know how that's going."

Cranking up the graphics will tax the GPU more but not the CPU.

Last edited:
I'm trying to find out if he overclocked all the p and e cores to 5.1 and at what voltage.
I've bounced back and force but right now I'm at 5.1 on p-cores with e-cores disabled and voltage set to 1.24v in bios with cpu sa set to 1.2, ram at 3600mhz 15/15/15/36 1.4v. I tried overclocking with ecores enabled but skyrim was unstable so I went back to p cores only. At that point I had cpu voltage on auto with 4.9ghz p cores and 3.9 e cores. I think the voltage was around 1.25v and I probably could make it work with tweaking. Going to try again later. Right now p-cores only is serving me well.

Yeah this is my first MSI MB. Did anyone have problems finding the software for sound?? I went to MSI and I thought I DL-ed them but I just have the generic ones from Windows.
I really havent tried any OC-ing other then setting XMP on my memory.

IIRC, there's a FW update and a Realtek driver there. If you think you DL'd it, search "realtek" in windows and see if it comes up.

It didnt come up with sheet. Windows saido_O I had the best drivers. I have sound but its sheet. Sorry I didn't mean to go off of topic, I'll work on this later.
I do want to learn more about OCing on a MSI MB. I feel like I've forgot everything:cry::cry:

Heh, yeah.. start a thread on it... I don't have an MSI mobo handy (EDIT: yes I do... a UNIFY ITX), but know there is a FW and audio drivers. it should come up with Realtek software... weird.

But yeah, start a thread about that mobo and we'll walk through it with ya. ;)

Last edited:
Back