• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

12v on my 5v atx voltages?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

HazzuLa

hello! my computer started shutting down by itself recenty. i tried to find out what was wrong and i figured it might be the power supply because i just installed a new fsp hexa 500w psu. i used a program that monitors harware voltages and temps to see if there were any weird things going on and this i what i got.

tumblr_lwl8g5se261qgdu4jo1_500.png

as you can see, instead of 5v in the row for the atx +5 voltages im getting close to 12v. is this supposed to happen? Also, i had 3 hard drives installed when my computer started shutting down by itself. i took one out and it stopped shutting down by itself. this problem however of the 12v instead of 5v is bothering me. is this normal for my motherboard? or is something wrong with the power supply? i put the connectors right where the intel quick start poster said they should be. any thoughts on this would be greatle appreciated.

Sometimes the sensors just don't read correct, so just disregard that output. If you really want to watch your voltages get a DMM.

The voltage sensors the software is reading are out to lunch, or the software is not reading them correctly. If you really did have 12v on the 5v rail the odds are excellent that your computer would be quite dead!

That said, I too suggest that you buy yourself a cheap voltmeter and check the voltages the PSU is putting out.

With the computer turned on, check the wires coming out of the PSU.
Any yellow wire to any black wire should be 12v +/- 0.6v.
Any red wire to any black wire should be 5v +/- 0.25v.
Any orange wire to any black wire should be 3.3v +/- 0.165v

Molex connectors are the best place for measuring voltages IMO. You can skip the 3.3v check if you want, it isn't used for much these days.

Back