• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

+12V rail voltages drops to 10.8V when running Furmark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

byron182

Hello.

Before I buy a new PSU because of my problems with shutdowns when playing games I wanted to check if it is really the PSUs problem and not my Graphics card. I'm using HWMonitor to check the voltages it shows 11.3-11.4 idle but when I was running FurMark Gpu test my 12v rails dropped to 10.7-10.8. I also checked the voltages in the BIOS and it matches more or less +- .2 variance. Your thoughts?

Hello.

Before I buy a new PSU because of my problems with shutdowns when playing games I wanted to check if it is really the PSUs problem and not my Graphics card. I'm using HWMonitor to check the voltages it shows 11.3-11.4 idle but when I was running FurMark Gpu test my 12v rails dropped to 10.7-10.8. I also checked the voltages in the BIOS and it matches more or less +- .2 variance. Your thoughts?

You need a new quality power supply!

You need a new quality power supply!

I was afraid of that. Although it didn't shutdown when I ran FurMark on it for 20 mins. I suppose its maybe because the power draw was constant unlike playing a game. I posted a thread yesterday a list of replacements. We'll at least I'm getting an upgrade. I'm not buying an FSP ever again.

Software readings tend to not be accurate. If your PC was actually giving out 10V, it wouldn't be running. ;)

Also, stop using Furmark. For GPUs, its overkill and will throttle. So essentially, you aren't testing the clocks you think are. If its for a CPU, get a different app anyway. P95, AIDA64, both solid stress tests.

Software readings tend to not be accurate. If your PC was actually giving out 10V, it wouldn't be running. ;)

Also, stop using Furmark. For GPUs, its overkill and will throttle. So essentially, you aren't testing the clocks you think are. If its for a CPU, get a different app anyway. P95, AIDA64, both solid stress tests.
Even BIOS readings? I'll check it with a meter tomorrow although it would be on idle. If it shows the same voltages? replace it?

Yes, BIOS readings too. They can be off and needs to be checked by a MM. Why can't you check it on load? Just leave it in there while you put a load on the PC... again, not furmark.

Ok. I won't use FurMark. Using the molex connectors is fine right? or do I have to use the 6pin?

Wherever you get 12V, which is both. I would check on two different connectors in case one lead may be bad. ;)

See if furmark is the only stress testing application that does it while you are at it.

EDIT: Are you testing the GPU or CPU with Furmark.

The 10.8V reading was using the Gpu test, using the CPU burner it read 11.2V

Well, what I would do is as I said already...

Test using something NOT named Furmark and get your readings. If they are ok, you are done. If they are not, test on another plug. If they are still out of whack, which, I would find difficult to believe since its well out of spec and shouldn't be running at 10V, I'd look into a new PSU indeed. :)

Well, what I would do is as I said already...

Test using something NOT named Furmark and get your readings. If they are ok, you are done. If they are not, test on another plug. If they are still out of whack, which, I would find difficult to believe since its well out of spec and shouldn't be running at 10V, I'd look into a new PSU indeed. :)

Gotcha ;) I'll post the readings when I get back from work tomorow-ish. Anything I should look out for aside from the readings?

Molex +12v rails shows 13.8v WTF? Must be the MM. I'm using an analog one. 5v reads 5.3v.

it goes down to that it's goonna start freezing and maybe restarting and stuff or just shut off. Still good on power, just need something modern. got some autism here going on lol..hooked up a second rad to the aio short lines and found some old 19v 2a external pack and im putting it into that aio pump lol...idk must of leaked on that asrock board came back and whole ram area was wet. then it froze in the bios and nothing now lol

it goes down to that it's goonna start freezing and maybe restarting and stuff or just shut off. Still good on power, just need something modern. got some autism here going on lol..hooked up a second rad to the aio short lines and found some old 19v 2a external pack and im putting it into that aio pump lol...idk must of leaked on that asrock board came back and whole ram area was wet. then it froze in the bios and nothing now lol

Huh?

- - - Updated - - -

New batteries for the mm?

Did you try pcie or another molex?

I only tried the molex. I'll check the other cable later. I'm too tired from work and need some Zs.

Huh?

- - - Updated - - -

I only tried the molex. I'll check the other cable later. I'm too tired from work and need some Zs.

It's assuming whatever unit, UVP works and kicks in...has it or not...it may not some just still kept running.... take a little more drop...I wouldn't run it...gonna be smoke lol

Not entirely sure what the follow-up means either. Slow it down, look at the OP and the rest of the posts and see if we can respond to him. :)

Not entirely sure what the follow-up means either. Slow it down, look at the OP and the rest of the posts and see if we can respond to him. :)

If I get the gist of what he's saying, he must mean the Undervoltage protection kicks in and shutting it off when it senses the drop in voltage.

UPDATE: Did some general cleaning and especially the UPS air vents. It was dusty as hell. After it was free of dust I turned of the PC and checked my voltages and Voila! It jumped 11.8V using HWMonitor and 11.7 BIOS on idle. I know it's not accurate but it looks promising. I'm holding off testing it with my analog MM till I borrow my friends digital one. I suspect my MM is not functioning properly. I'm currently running FurMa..sorry Prime95 on it and play some games to test if the problem occurs.

Last edited:
It's assuming whatever unit, UVP works and kicks in...has it or not...it may not some just still kept running.... take a little more drop...I wouldn't run it...gonna be smoke lol

It has both UVP and OVP. The FSP psu is decent.

It has both UVP and OVP. The FSP psu is decent.

I'm just going by old timers man and old ATX lol, I don't know what they always said, if you probe the molex and start seeing anything like 11-11.3v should start looking for a replacement. yeah but it actually probably still continue to run at that, going to take a good bit more of a drop...it's not going to run worth a **** and especially under load and yeah about where a lot freezing and restarts can happen.

Back