• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$1400-1600 Gaming Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kurtbacker

Hey all, this is my first post here,
I'm ordering my gaming setup here soon. I'm going to school for computer programming and IT, I do alot of gaming too. I plan to be overclocking this build as much as I can.
-Cooler Master Storm Trooper - $150
-Intel Core i7-2600k - $324.99
-Asus P8z68-v/GEN3 Motherboard - $179.99
-Corsair Vengeance ram 8gb -$49.99
-EVGA Geforce GTX 580 3gb - $489 (this is the killer)
-OCZ 750watt Fatt1y series - $99.99
-OCZ Vertex 3 60gb ssd -$89.99
-Windows 7 64-bit OEM -$99.99
-Lg 24x cd drive -$17.99.
All this comes out to $1497

This is all coming from tigerdirect.com, they have a good amount of deals.
But I have a few questions,

-I know sandy bridge should be outdated next month assuming there are no delays, and considering that should i go with an i7 or wait for ivy bridge?
-Is the motherboard i selected good for overclocking, and is it future proofed for ivy bridge? (i've heard alot here and there that z68 chipsets will have the same socket)
-Will 750 watts power this build without any problems? I know a GTX580 uses a lot of power.
-Why is the OEM version of Windows 7 cheaper, is it missing something

One big concern is whether or not the GTX580 is worth the price tag. The games i plan to put this thing to work with (Skyrim, BF3, Oblivion, Mass Effect 3, etc) are very GPU intensive. And good graphics, smooth gameplay, and no BS are important to me when it comes to this aspect. i've sold my Xbox 360 and PS3, done with the problematic gameplay and lack of customization. Too much carpel tunnel in my thumbs as well.

I also plan to get a TB or 2TB internal hard drive as I have alot of music and storage, along with a Thermaltake bigwater liquid cooler(which probably means a new PSU as well.) and a decent mouse and keyboard.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, I've lost touch with computers recently, been out of the game awhile.

Thanks,

Not a bad build from the looks of things. A few questions though.

When do you plan on making the buy? With IB so close it's really hard to suggest a new I7 or even an I5 at this point. Even if you decide not to go IB it should drive prices of the old SB's down some.

You should be perfectly fine with that motherboard.

I would not go with that video card. The 680's were just released and go for that price and they defiantly kick the old 580's around.

Finally with the OEM windows, it works like this as far as I know. With a retail version of windows if you decide to upgrade to a new computer later (new motherboard/processor type of deal) you can use that copy of windows on the new machine. With the OEM the key only works on the original machine you install it on then it's done. In most cases it's not a big issue.

Thanks for the reply azuza,

I plan on making the buy here in the next few weeks (a few days to 3 weeks who knows)
I'm thinking I could wait for IB, but the price for IB processors will probably in excess of $100 more expensive. Plus with the speeds a core i7 can already do, I wonder if its even worth the wait or money.

I just looked up the 680, its pretty pricy haha. Are the AMD GPU's comparable?

IB 3770K should be +/- at the 2600K price tag.
The 680 is $500, so $10 more only than the 580 you plan on buying.
750W is plenty for either an IB or a SB and a 680 or a 7970, everything heavily OC'ed (you could even put a second GPU down the road if you like).
Thermaltake Bigwater is not worth it.
A H100 will take your SB/IB as high as it can go. You get voltage and not temps limited with 95w/77w CPUs.
A 60GB SSD is not big enough IMO. Go for at least 120GB: games get bigger and bigger!
7970s are VERY GOOD cards, but 680s are BETTER! Both will allow you to play any current game maxed out on a 1080p monitor. And even with a 3 screens setup, you'll enjoy your games on very high at least.

Woah guys, I think you're overestimating his budget. Especially if he wants an OS/keyboard/mouse...can't get everything there with $1600.

Woah guys, I think you're overestimating his budget. Especially if he wants an OS/keyboard/mouse...can't get everything there with $1600.

regarding his initial plan ($1500), it's only +$50 120GB SSD, +$10 for the 680, and +$30 for the 3770K, it is still below $1600.

I also plan to get a TB or 2TB internal hard drive as I have alot of music and storage, along with a Thermaltake bigwater liquid cooler(which probably means a new PSU as well.) and a decent mouse and keyboard.

Which he didn't include in the list, HDD/Cooling/Mouse/Keyboard is another +$200.

This, +$500 for the 680 and shipping, gets you just under $1600.

Capture.JPG

Which he didn't include in the list, HDD/Cooling/Mouse/Keyboard is another +$200.

Mmm... I thought the OP was talking about the listed components budget.
If not, then yes (EDIT::screwy:), it would be a $1800 rig...
I would cut on the case for a $100 one and go for a $140 Asrock MoBo, and almost back in budget:ty:

Motherboard - Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 : 121$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271&Tpk=asrock extreme3 gen3

Processor - Intel I7 2600K : 325
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070

Memory - Corsair Vengance 8 Gigs : 49$ (also comes in black at same price)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233180

Video Card - Geforce GTX 680 : 499$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121626

Cooling - Corsair H100 : 120$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181017

Get the rest at tiger direct prices that he quoted it comes to - 1574$ before shipping and rebates. Thats assuming he doesn't want to change things like the case or go with a different hd. At the budget he's at there are a ton of things he can do differently it's all a question of what does he feel comfortable doing. Myself I would not go with an I7 over an I5 if it's for gaming. Those extra 4 hyperthreading cores do not come into the equation enough to warrant the extra cost, I'd rather spend it making the SSD bigger or getting a bigger regular drive to add in additionally.

Also if he shops around he can find deals like you pointed out Knufire. It's all dealers choice at this point, but again I would say wait the last few weeks for IB to hit and grab a 680 when they get replenished and you'll be well on your way.

if the 580 does it for you you can drop down to a 7870 which is $350 and is on par with the 580 if you do want to wait for the 6 series to drop amd is most likely going to drop the prices by $100 (or at least that that is what i believe) if you are going to spend a $100 on a h100 might as well go with this

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...oling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c83s137

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...t_BA2-241_-_LGA_2011_Ready.html?tl=g30c83s137

or

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...oling_Kit_w_Free_Kill_Coil.html?tl=g30c83s137

They are a little more expensive but they are custom loops so i am pretty sure that they will preform better then an all in one also if you want later down the road with the 240/360 (depending on which one you go with) rad you could probably also WC the Vid card but don't quote me on that i am not a water cooling expert.

Also i don't know if this has been discussed already but why a i7-2600k and not a i5-2500k

if the 580 does it for you you can drop down to a 7870 which is $350 and is on par with the 580 if you do want to wait for the 6 series to drop amd is most likely going to drop the prices by $100 (or at least that that is what i believe) if you are going to spend a $100 on a h100 might as well go with this

AFAIk, 7870 beats a 580 and a 7850 is on par.

Back