• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE 15 Case Fans Tested: Ultimate 140 mm Roundup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Forgive me if this question seems stupid because I'm not sure I'm reading the charts right but it seems the yate loons compare pretty closely with most of the more expensive fans at a fraction of the cost. Am I reading it right? What would be the benefit of spending so much more for the other fans except for a couple cfm if so?

You are. They are loud and the bearings don't last as long as some, but perform well.

The sound seems comparable in the charts though. Maybe a little higher but not enough to notice I would think, especially for the price. $4 compared to $20 for a couple levels lower seems excessive.

Your post piqued my interest so I had to look at the review again. He's testing the low speed. I have the high speed version for my radiators. Major difference in sound.

I was still listing fans alphabetically then. Here is my most recent review. The fans are arrayed in order of the center CFM -- through a rad or through a filter. The Yate Loons are loud at highspeed, not so loud at lowspeed. They are so cheap that I bought those four to serve as replacements for my daughter's rig. So far, the original is still going strong. If you buy Yate Loon fans, get two: one may click and those sleeve bearing fans won't last forever. In fact, at six years, my daughter's fan is getting long in the tooth for a YL fan. You would not normally expect one to last this long. I don't recommend M or H but L is 1000rpm -- about right for a case fan.

Now, PWM fans are what you will use on rads. Too bad YL doesn't make those.

Last edited:
I was still listing fans alphabetically then. Here is my most recent review. The fans are arrayed in order of the center CFM -- through a rad or through a filter. The Yate Loons are loud at highspeed, not so loud at lowspeed. They are so cheap that I bought those four to serve as replacements for my daughter's rig. So far, the original is still going strong. If you buy Yate Loon fans, get two: one may click and they sleeve bearing fan won't last forever. In fact, at six years, my daughter's fan is getting long in the tooth for a YL fan. You would not normally expect one to last this long. I don't recommend M or H but L is 1000rpm -- about right for a case fan.

Now, PWM fans are what you will use on rads. Too bad YL doesn't make those.

Wouldn't most motherboards do the same thing? My Asus controls my 3 pin yate loons just fine. Not too sound too cheap but pwm seems a waste of money when using a good motherboard.

Your motherboard is using voltage control, which is fine. Just be aware that many fans click when they run at significantly below 12 volts.

Spot on as always Ed. This thread is obviously a case fan round up so the high speed Yate's need not apply. Just an FYI for anyone interested. I did a make 7v adapter plug to calm them down for non-benching activities and it slowed them down comparably to their medium speed fans. There is no clicking present in my small sample size of 5 but naturally YMMV.

Your motherboard is using voltage control, which is fine. Just be aware that many fans click when they run at significantly below 12 volts.
I've never noticed but good info to know. I usually buy the high speed but run them at low to med speeds, probably 7-10v. Maybe that's why mine have lasted so long. I generally only turn them to full speed when trying to max or bench for a short time.

Blaylock my prior comments have been based on the yate loons used in the article.

This article mentions Silent Wings 2, but in the graphs Pure Wings 2 is listed. Should that say Silent Wings 2 in the graphs?

This article mentions Silent Wings 2, but in the graphs Pure Wings 2 is listed. Should that say Silent Wings 2 in the graphs?
I think this is a wonderful pickup. I have looked at be quiet!'s website. Only 92mm and 80mm Silent Wings are still available, and they are 7-bladed but a photograph shows 9-bladed fans with skinny blades. So I can no longer tell what I tested. They are fans that came with an R5 case, but they are making the R6 now . . .

Doesn't the fan have model numbers on them so you can check? Or a way to see what fans come with the R5 case (email Fractal D)? This should be a simple find, no?

Sorry. The fans came with the Dark Base 800, and are listed as Pure Wings 2. I will reach out to an editor, but it may be too late to change the text.

We can change it at any time...working on it now.

EDIT: Article updated. Please review for accuracy. If there is anything missed, let me know via PM.

Thanks decayed for the critical eye!!! :)

Last edited:
Since this is one of the few good up to date case fan reviews, I have a request:

Could you normalize your testing for noise? So we can compare performance results for x, y and z db (choosing three reasonable db values)? If you do this, could you add sound samples, so we can hear the noise profile ourselves?

This would be really great!

Very nice! I'm actually needing to replace all 6 fans in my case that are 120mm, 4 are against filters pulling air in, 2 are in the rear pushing air out (and a big boy up top for extreme exhaust). This guide gives me a bit of info at least on quality as I need 120's.

Thanks!

Back