• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$160 shipped for two used 80gb V raptors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I didn't even know they came in 80GB variants.

Buy it now is $135 with free ship now? Looks like a deal, and don't forget the bing cashback.

From what i can tell they are single platter v raptors firmware limited to 80GB. They are also pulled from dell machines, so no warranty with WD.

Someone please buy them before I do.

Correct, the 80G models were special ones that OEM's like dell were selling, vs the 74g you could get in stores.

the regular raptors came in 36 74 75 and 150gb if im not mistaken.

IMO however 160gb for 160shipped is horrible price:storage ratio, considering if your good u can find brand new 1tb hds for 40 bucks.

although if you want pure speed these rnt bad, but id rather go ssd.

I've all ready 5 ADFD 150 Raptors, still using 3 of em and put two in a friends rig I've built.

Looks interesting, but I'm not planning to not buy anything storage wise till SSD's here :)

Not sure those would be worth the asking price these days, as they are used, but for an old VR not bad.

Even if they were only driven to church on sunday by his Grandma, J/K.

:beer:

Last edited:
the regular raptors came in 36 74 75 and 150gb if im not mistaken.

IMO however 160gb for 160shipped is horrible price:storage ratio, considering if your good u can find brand new 1tb hds for 40 bucks.

although if you want pure speed these rnt bad, but id rather go ssd.

:drool: Linky to $40 1TB?

Considering a 150GB V.Raptor is $180 new ($160 AMIR), two used isn't too bad for $135. And a 30GB Vertex (cheapest SSD worth buying that I know of) for $125 after mail in rebate... 30GB isn't much. I bought my 74GB Raptor for $165 four years ago... Still feels 'fast' today (but I don't play with SSDs).

id much rather have a 30ish gb ssd for pure speed than 2 80gb vraptors.

and the 40gb 1tb hd was through craigslist locally. A guy who worked at a data storage place had a whole extra PALLET of hitachi 1tb hds that he was selling cheap... 720 of em.

Dammit, I was hoping to come home and find these sold... Come on guys its 121 shipped after bing cashback.

$134.99 AMIR / 32GB = $4.22 per GB <- Corsair Extreme on NewEgg
$121 / 160GB = $0.76 per GB
$64.99 AMIR / 1000GB = $0.07 per GB <- Hitachi 1TB on NewEgg

The VR won't be 10 times faster in any scenario, so why pay ten times as much? The SSD costs 60 times as much. In some scenarios, it may actually be able to provide that much better performance. Those scenarios may be extremely unlikely in real life (reading a 100GB file that is in 200 fragments across the drive), but the possibility is there. Why does a faster motor and a platter that can do 10k or 15k RPM cost so much more? Do they even use different platters than the 7200 RPM drives?

My only problem with getting them is ill have to run them on the j-micron ports since im already running four Seagate 500gb sata II 32mb cache HD's

My only problem with getting them is ill have to run them on the j-micron ports since im already running four Seagate 500gb sata II 32mb cache HD's

Huh? You've got six SATA ports on the Intel controllers on both your boards in sig, why would you put them on the JMicron / Marvell controllers?

Back