• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$160 shipped for two used 80gb V raptors

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
the regular raptors came in 36 74 75 and 150gb if im not mistaken.

IMO however 160gb for 160shipped is horrible price:storage ratio, considering if your good u can find brand new 1tb hds for 40 bucks.

although if you want pure speed these rnt bad, but id rather go ssd.
No 75GB Raptor version, but an 80 and a 160GB version for Dell in addition to the retail sizes you mentioned. There are also 80 and 160GB Dell versions of the VRaptors as well with no retail 36 or 74GB versions made. I liked these at $200 a pair a while ago when I bought mine and would be all over these at this price. SSD's are still being beta tested by consumers IMO.

$134.99 AMIR / 32GB = $4.22 per GB <- Corsair Extreme on NewEgg
$121 / 160GB = $0.76 per GB
$64.99 AMIR / 1000GB = $0.07 per GB <- Hitachi 1TB on NewEgg

The VR won't be 10 times faster in any scenario, so why pay ten times as much? The SSD costs 60 times as much. In some scenarios, it may actually be able to provide that much better performance. Those scenarios may be extremely unlikely in real life (reading a 100GB file that is in 200 fragments across the drive), but the possibility is there. Why does a faster motor and a platter that can do 10k or 15k RPM cost so much more? Do they even use different platters than the 7200 RPM drives?

The seek times on the 80GB Vraptors is 6ms. That's about half of a 7200RPM drive. My WD10EACS and WD10EADS are both 14ms, the Hitachi's should be a couple ms faster. I know its nowhere near SSD seek times, but how much of an SSD can you get for 120 bucks?

Thankfully they sold, I was gonna buy them today if they where still up.

15K sas drives are relatively cheap on ebay, I saw a brand new 72gb for $40 shipped. Supermigelv is playing with 3x in raid0 on a dell perc 5i, something like 300MB/s read at 4-5MS seek.

15K sas drives are relatively cheap on ebay, I saw a brand new 72gb for $40 shipped. Supermigelv is playing with 3x in raid0 on a dell perc 5i, something like 300MB/s read at 4-5MS seek.

who's Supermigelv? :screwy:

but ya u can buy 3x 15k drives for a about $120 and u will get alot better perf than those raptops :)

The seek times on the 80GB Vraptors is 6ms. That's about half of a 7200RPM drive. My WD10EACS and WD10EADS are both 14ms, the Hitachi's should be a couple ms faster. I know its nowhere near SSD seek times, but how much of an SSD can you get for 120 bucks?

Thankfully they sold, I was gonna buy them today if they where still up.

For just a bit more today at newegg.com, you can end up with a 64GB OCZ Summit.

who's Supermigelv? :screwy:

but ya u can buy 3x 15k drives for a about $120 and u will get alot better perf than those raptops :)

The problem with SCSI is not hte cost of the drives (constantly seeing deals on them) but getting a raid controller with any decent performance, buque dinero...

Yeah you guys defiantly got a point on the sas drives. I was thinking of going that route when I get a new motherboard with more PCIE slots. I'll need a second Perc since mine is dedicated storage.

Back