• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1950x Cheapo Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fenn

Hi Everyone,

I am new here. Over the weekend I needed to get a 3D project done and my computer kept randomly shutting down after four - six hours of rendering. I would lose a lot of time. I have known about this problem with my other computer for some time and have been trying to trouble shoot it, but no go.

My wife says, just get the stuff for a new one and worry about this one later.

So, I decided that if I am going to buy a CPU and Mobo, I am going to get a serious CPU and then make everything around it upgrade-able. Most of the x399 motherboards had pretty terrible reviews. Complaints of being flimsy, bad memory slots, all kinds of problems. I have had good luck with Gigabyte and their motherboard was supposed to have that armor underneath to support the RAM. I got the Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 mother board.

I got some cheap G.Skill Aegis 16 GB RAM. I have 32 GB Corsair Dominator that is going to be swapped here.

I already had a Seasonic Prime 1200W Gold PSU.

Corsair H115 Cooler.

Strix GTX1050Ti. I have a 980Ti FTW in my other computer that will be going in this one.

NZXT H440 case.

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB for the M.2

First of all, installing the CPU was nerve wracking but pretty easy. The Gigabyte motherboard does feel pretty sturdy when you have to press down on the screws to get them started. I didn't have any problems with the CPU getting in the rail and clicking in.
The H115 will be going back to the store. I wanted the NZXT x62, but MicroCenter was out. The guy told me to try the H115 and see how I liked it and return it if it didn't work out. I can't mount it at the top of the case and the screw that holds the fan on will hit the motherboard. I removed the culprit screw and the PSU to CPU plug would not fit. So, I removed the H115 and put the fans on top of the case, dangerously and mounted it that way. If I front mounted the Cooler, then I would only have two front fans instead of three. The H115 is a 280MM. I have seen some photos of people putting the radiator where the HDD trays are, but not front mounting, but I have not figured out how to do that.

I didn't have any real problems with the start up. I am not a fan of the visuals of the Gigabyte BIOS. It feels like it is from the 90's. However, it was easy enough to use, so I don't care much. But the red is a little hard for me to read.
I had a few BSOD's while installing drivers. The culprit turned out to be the WiFi driver. Go figure. I am still trying to figure out everything I should install. I don't have an optical drive so I didn't load any of the apps for the motherboard.

I want to monitor my CPU temp to see how well everything is cooling and do some stress tests. What software are you guys using to monitor this? RealTemp says it is for Intel.
It was rendering great, I mean fast. It was a lot of fun to see it whip through some stuff. My other computer is a 6700k and struggled with the renders.

Thanks for reading. I am excited about this build.

All that random crashing assuming the CPU is at stock sounds like ram problems

The crashing was a problem with the 6700k build and not the 1950x build, right? It was a little hard to follow.

The information on the NZXT website for your case states you can mount a 280 radiator in the top. It doesn't say how to mount it.

You say, "I removed the H115 and put the fans on top of the case, dangerously and mounted it that way." What was dangerous about it? The NZXT x62 is also uses a 280 radiator. Would it fit any better? Is the radiator thinner than the one on the H115? There is nothing inherently wrong with mounting a radiator on the top side. Is there an opening to get the pump and hoses of an AIO water system through the top mesh?

Last edited:
Back