• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1gb DDR1 for high vdimm,good latency, good bandwith

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Beginner

hello guys, i'm putting the finishing touches on my socket a system.

abit nf7-s v2(color dimmed),vdd, vdimm and tomorrow vdroop modded
xp-m 2600 iqya stepping
2x256mb pc3500 mushkin lvl2 bh-5(black pcb) actively cooled
flashed to 5950u modded vcore, throttling disable, tighter mem timings bios
all the above on air

right now i'm gaming stable at 2.7ghz(12x225, 2226, 2t, merlins taipan cpc-off)on air.

eventually i'm going to upgrade to an dfi nf3 lp ut and wanted to use this pc as a fileserver/remote desktop.

my board has 3 dimm slots, running same sized dimm in slots 1&3 gives me dual channel. running same sized dimm in slots 1&2, having slot 3 the same size as slots 1+2 added together also gives me dual channel.

here's my issue, i used the search button and bh-5 & tccd/5 aren't available in 1gb sticks.

i don't know if my board will perform better with 1gb sticks in all 3 slots = 3gb single channel
or
2x1gb sticks in slots 1&3 = 2gb dual channel

i'm assuming for filesharing 3x1gb single channel will perform better than 2x1g dual channel? i couldn't find any info on this. i know more bandwidth is better but of the two i don't know which is in fact offers better bandwidth?

my goal is to find 1gb that love voltage, i plan on running 3.2v 24/7 in a well ventilated watercooled case with active cooling over the ram.

sorry i don't know much or have any extra technical info.

thanks for looking and your posts/suggestions are greatly appreciated

2* 1 gig will offer a lot better perforamance and i am sure that the OCZ 3200EL platinum is TCC5 and it likes a bit of voltage.

thanks n8j,

2x1gb dual channle will have better performance over 3x1gb single channel? just trying to clear it up, i'm still a newb

Yeah the reason being is that you will have a lot more bandwidth with dual channel that you would lose using single channel, and to be honest 3Gig is a bit over kill.

i am not sure about your mobo but some will end up running them at 2t or a slower speed if all slots are filled.

Dual channel is a must. Single channel will hurt preformance decently, and as it being a file server, memory won't be hurting overall speed of the computer, it will be the bandwidth holding you back or the speed of the harddrives.

i'm looking for bh-5 type 1gb sticks, which do you guys recommend, i hear utt i hit and miss, i don't mind running the ram at 3.2v in order to hold some good timings.

guys this stuff comes in 1gb flavor right - Mushkin XP4000 Redline - Winbond UTT CH-5 best UTT's that you can get!!!

looks like thats what i'll be looking for, can anybody post some suggestions?

Last edited:
UTT doesnt come in 1gig sets. the mushkin XP4000 2gig Redlines is infenion CE-6. but, from the sounds of things, you want either 1 of 2 rams, Ballistix 2gig kits or Mushkin/OCZ Redlines/EB. Ballistix uses -5b D, which clocks very well, can do the high vdimm and tight timings thing, 2.5-2-2 around 250, if your lucky. the EB/Redlines will do 3-2-2 or 3-2-3 at 250 for the most part. its kind of a gamble. any reason why you need 2gigs?

thanks for the post ccu,

i'm converting my nf7 over to a fileserver for folding, d/l'ing and u/l'ing torrents, also to use it as a remote desktop and possibly use it to host pictures for future ebay sales.

i'm hoping i can keep it running at 2.3-2.4ghz with all this ram loaded up. can you confirm if keeping it 2x1gb dual channel will be better than 3x1gb single channel?

but before i do this, i'm going to game playing bf2, until i get an dfi nf3 hand me down(end of year).

i was assuming since it has 3 dimm slots and it reads a max of 3gb, it will perform better this way???

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
umm, i think the DFI's have an issue with 3dimms filled, something about the 2nd dimm being dead, im not sure though. id say just go for 2x1gig sets, i cant see you using more then 2gigs.

2x1gb for the nf7-s it is. this sticks will stay on my nf7-s for the purpose i posted above. i'll be using these 2x256mb mushkin sticks on the dfi. i worked really hard on my nf7 and i wanted to put it to good use. my 5950 card is moving over to my potential dfi as well.

i'll start cruising the classifieds for the ballistix -5b d's or ocz/mush ce-6's.

thanks ccu

this topic is closed :)

thanks, i may just wait a couple of months then. its on my list to save up for, maybe some black friday deals?

Back