• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st Benchmarks Of Shanghi Appear (I Think)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
dangit, I hope this information aint real, cuz...I dont wanna see AMD be a downer once again =( come on AMD, you are better than this!

It can't be real. Deny till its on Bit-tech.net

AMD answer about the numbers in that article

"The goal of these submissions was to enable comparisons of comparably configured servers , aka apples to apples in what you see in a mainstream, typical configuration.

· Each server uses 8 DIMMs of 2GB each. This is a typical server configuration which uses 2GB per core. There are plenty of users out there who put 8 DIMMs in a server probably would be interested in the score. In fact, it might be worth your time to see how many people use 8 DIMM servers vs. the San Clemente servers that the top Intel scores are based on. Or at least a good sidebar discussion to have.

The Intel score uses Low-Power FB-DIMM ("Memory Details: DDR2-667 CL5 LP FB-DIMM;") If we were trying to create a "worst case scenario" as you call out below, we would have used standard power FB-DIMM memory in the Intel server.
· Each server uses the same Ablecom PWS-702A-1R power supply
· Each server uses the same 500GB WD5000ABPS SATA II disk drive
· Each server uses the same Intel Pro/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter NIC
· Each server uses "Dynamic Power Profile Enabled"

Again, if we were trying to show worst case scenario we would have turned off Power Management on the Intel server
· Each server uses the same JVM version
· Each server uses the same JVM command-line options"
Source: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/11/07/amd-explains-shanghai

I just got this gut wrenching feeling that Deneb is going be be everything we hoped it wasn't. I'm not saying it's definite, but this isn't the first time AMD have released a couple of wierd and distorted benchmarks a little while before a launch.

If they have a test system at their technology analyst day running at 4Ghz [with a whole lot of fans], that will confirm the chip as a write off. :p

Would like to remind everyone when AMD launched Barcelona they submitted some questionable results on Intel systems which were in line with one 1-2 step slower Cpus from other big makers. Not saying that was intentional but was really suspicious, I wouldn't trust their Intel benches.

Back