• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st Build, Trinity Temperature Issue A10-5700

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bajanknight

Hello All,
My 1st build has gone as planned up until reviewing temperatures.

Fractal Define Mini 3
Biostar Hi Fi A85S3 (Latest BIOS)
AMD A10-5700
Noctua NH-L9a / NT-H1 Paste Used
8GB Kit (4GBx2), Ballistix DDR3 PC3-14900 (1866)
Seasonic SS-300ET
Plextor M5P 128GB SSD
ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Windows 8

The below screen dump shows the variety of Temps runing p95 Blend on all 4 Cores (No Overclock/Ram at 1866), The one that is concerning is the highest temp. It would appear that AMD Overdrive may indicate throttling. I have read that 70c Should be the max (By Scale not Degree) for the A10-5700.

Can anyone indicate what they would think, is it a wrong number or is this what it looks like when you don't get a good cooler paste bond to the CPU?

Note That the CPUID HWMonitor A10-5700/Temprtr Package(82c) shows ~Same as CoreTemp CPU#0 and about the same as AMD Overdrive's individual core temp readouts. The Temperature Monitor in the upper left corner is from the Biostar Website, I think it grabs Bios Temps and would seem the same as the temps I pull from the actual BIOS, although a little cooler since Windows is controlling things.

I have read that the CPUID "Package" is supposed to be the sensor under the CPU Socket? Since this sensor would have to be a component of the Motherboard I would have expected it to have been listed within the Biostar drop down instead of the A10-5700 drop down. Since the temps are more matching what AMD Overdrive are listing for individual Cores it has me guessing that maybe "Package" is in fact internal CPU Core Temp...

Any Advice figuring out what is what would be great!

picture.php

Last edited:
First thing, pick a temp monitoring pgm and stick with it. Around here and on most forums HMonitor is the pgm of choice. Running more thasn one monitoring pgm CAN cause issues.

Hello Kyfire,

I have removed (Uninstalled) all other monitoring programs which could be effecting reliability and have posted screenshots of P95 Blend loaded after about 3 Minutes of run.

Looks like I am still getting in excess of 70 on "Package" temperature.
Do other numbers look typical for stock speed?

picture.php

Last edited:
A6-4455M Lenovo S405 Laptop HD 7500G

I ran hwmonitor on my Lenovo Ideapad S405 AMD A6-4455M with HD 7500G APU and it appears the A6-4455M Temperature Package shows a very high number as well. This would lead me to suspect that the reading is False for some reason.

Since this is looking more like a software issue rather than a physical cooling issue would anyone be able to suggest a Thread or a Hwmonitor member which I might take the issue up with?

picture.php

Last edited:
Hi WhitehawkEQ,
Thanks for your feedback,

The NH-U12S was 62% Heavier and 40% more cost compared to the NH-L9A.
I did not anticipate needing more cooling than the NH-L9A could provide, although the NH-U12S may have likely had less power draw, and it would have definitely directed the heat out of the rear of the Fractal Define mini case allot better if/when under load as I believe the NH-L9a does add heat to the confined micro ATX motherboard area that a tower cooler would have helped with minimizing. Since this build is for a user of which won't be loading it much I think the NH-L9a represents the improvement I was after over the stock fan solution. It was difficult justifying the added $50 expense over what the stock fan would have likely been sufficient at handling for this particular machine.
The V6 and V8 didn't mention FM2 compatibility, the cooler master that does is again much heavier and more expensive than the NH-L9a.
I Will post cooling attributes of the NH-L9a with the A10-5700 under Prime95 load in few days.

Hi Conumdrum,
Thanks for your reply...
The Hyper 212 EVO looks like it would have come in at about the same weight and a little less cost. I would loose the Noctura SS02 Ball Bearing fan, NT-H1 Paste, and the 4 additional years of warranty though, so I think if I was going to go for the tower type I would probably convince myself that the extra $20 would be worth it for the NH-U12S as compared to the NH-L9a. Assuming the additional weight would be ok on the motherboard. What is the general rule regarding the recommended weight limits of coolers on motherboards?

Hi Conumdrum,
Thanks for your reply...
The Hyper 212 EVO looks like it would have come in at about the same weight and a little less cost. I would loose the Noctura SS02 Ball Bearing fan, NT-H1 Paste, and the 4 additional years of warranty though, so I think if I was going to go for the tower type I would probably convince myself that the extra $20 would be worth it for the NH-U12S as compared to the NH-L9a. Assuming the additional weight would be ok on the motherboard. What is the general rule regarding the recommended weight limits of coolers on motherboards?

Unlike MB's (Mother Boards) in the past, most new MB's these days are a lot thicker and can easily handle the larger HS's as follows:

DSCN0386.JPG

DSCN0388.JPG

DSCN0389.JPG

I went to Fry's today and took a AM3 mounting bracket from a V6GT and it will fit FM1 & FM2 MB's. I don't have any systems that use the FM1 or 2 socket, but if I did get 1, I would use the V6GT on it.
So even if a AM3/AM3+ HS don't say it's for FM1 or FM2 MB's, it will fit and work.

A quick post and a deep explanation of the mass of that HS vs other HS and your proof by linking to reviews etc would of been better than a few pics.

Pics don't always answer the OPs question. That's your PC? Nice but what cooler, what is the weight of the cooler? New Mobo? Old cooler?

All input should be to help the OP. Pics sometimes is no help.

A quick post and a deep explanation of the mass of that HS vs other HS and your proof by linking to reviews etc would of been better than a few pics.

Pics don't always answer the OPs question. That's your PC? Nice but what cooler, what is the weight of the cooler? New Mobo? Old cooler?

All input should be to help the OP. Pics sometimes is no help.

MB: new, GA-990FXA-UD5
HS: V6GT, Weight: CoolerMaster does not give a weight

Back